Aug 19, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Placido Polanco, who hasn’t played since being hit in the helmet by a pitch Friday, has been placed on the seven-day concussion disabled list by the Marlins.
Polanco has spent all season as Miami’s primary third baseman despite hitting just .253 with one homer and a .600 OPS in 343 plate appearances. He’s scored just 28 runs, driven in just 21 runs, and among the 30 major leaguers to appear in at least 50 games at third base this season Polanco ranks second-to-last in OPS ahead of only Yuniesky Betancourt.
Ed Lucas had been eating into Polanco’s playing at third base recently and will be the everyday starter there for however long the brain injury sidelines the 37-year-old.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)