Aug 19, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Placido Polanco, who hasn’t played since being hit in the helmet by a pitch Friday, has been placed on the seven-day concussion disabled list by the Marlins.
Polanco has spent all season as Miami’s primary third baseman despite hitting just .253 with one homer and a .600 OPS in 343 plate appearances. He’s scored just 28 runs, driven in just 21 runs, and among the 30 major leaguers to appear in at least 50 games at third base this season Polanco ranks second-to-last in OPS ahead of only Yuniesky Betancourt.
Ed Lucas had been eating into Polanco’s playing at third base recently and will be the everyday starter there for however long the brain injury sidelines the 37-year-old.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (99)