Aug 19, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Placido Polanco, who hasn’t played since being hit in the helmet by a pitch Friday, has been placed on the seven-day concussion disabled list by the Marlins.
Polanco has spent all season as Miami’s primary third baseman despite hitting just .253 with one homer and a .600 OPS in 343 plate appearances. He’s scored just 28 runs, driven in just 21 runs, and among the 30 major leaguers to appear in at least 50 games at third base this season Polanco ranks second-to-last in OPS ahead of only Yuniesky Betancourt.
Ed Lucas had been eating into Polanco’s playing at third base recently and will be the everyday starter there for however long the brain injury sidelines the 37-year-old.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)