Aug 19, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Placido Polanco, who hasn’t played since being hit in the helmet by a pitch Friday, has been placed on the seven-day concussion disabled list by the Marlins.
Polanco has spent all season as Miami’s primary third baseman despite hitting just .253 with one homer and a .600 OPS in 343 plate appearances. He’s scored just 28 runs, driven in just 21 runs, and among the 30 major leaguers to appear in at least 50 games at third base this season Polanco ranks second-to-last in OPS ahead of only Yuniesky Betancourt.
Ed Lucas had been eating into Polanco’s playing at third base recently and will be the everyday starter there for however long the brain injury sidelines the 37-year-old.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)