Aug 19, 2013, 6:32 PM EST
While this news is hardly unexpected given what we heard over the weekend, the Mets announced this afternoon that catcher Anthony Recker was optioned to Triple-A Las Vegas. This officially clears the way for top prospect Travis d’Arnaud to remain in the big leagues.
D’Arnaud made his major league debut on Saturday after John Buck was placed on the paternity leave list. There was some speculation that the 24-year-old backstop would head right back down to the minors once Buck was ready to return, but the Mets now appear committed to giving him as much playing time as possible down the stretch. In other words, common sense has prevailed.
D’Arnaud, who was acquired from the Blue Jays in the R.A. Dickey deal, is 0-for-7 with five walks and two strikeouts through his first three games in the majors. Injuries have been an issue for him in the minors, but he has the potential to be a long-term solution behind the plate.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)