Aug 19, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
We start the day with A-Rod silliness, we end the day with A-Rod silliness. I feel like it’s been this way for months and won’t stop anytime soon. The latest, from the New York Daily News: Brian Cashman’s ex-mistress — Louise Meanwell — is alleging that A-Rod’s lawyers have a conflict of interest because her lawyer is a partner of Joe Tacopina and, well, just here:
Court papers filed Monday in Manhattan Supreme Court claim that during Meanwell’s 10-month affair with Cashman, he told her he “knew of Yankee clubhouse steroid use by various Yankee players by name.” Cashman also allegedly shared he “was ambivalent to the use of performance enhancement drugs so long as nothing came back to the Yankee organization.”
The upshot: Meanwell could theoretically be called to the stand in A-Rod’s arbitration and since her lawyer is partners with A-Rod’s lawyer, A-Rod’s has to bow out of the case.
Not sure who would call her given that Meanwell has been accused of extorting Cashman and others, is facing criminal charges and appears to be a profoundly disturbed person. I mean, sure, Tony Bosch is probably a criminal too, but at least he knows something relevant to the case via first-hand information. Meanwell wouldn’t likely know that, and her compromised relationship with Cashman would probably render anything she says that he said hard to believe.
As for the conflict: Tacopina says that Meanwell’s lawyer worked or a different firm and there is no conflict. My guess is that this is something that was figured out or worked out some time ago and the conflict is not a significant or a fatal one for Tacopina. If anything, this is probably a matter of Meanwell trying to insert herself back into Yankees drama. Which is both unfortunate and sad.
Certainly hope not. He’s made this case loads more fun!
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)