Aug 19, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
We start the day with A-Rod silliness, we end the day with A-Rod silliness. I feel like it’s been this way for months and won’t stop anytime soon. The latest, from the New York Daily News: Brian Cashman’s ex-mistress — Louise Meanwell — is alleging that A-Rod’s lawyers have a conflict of interest because her lawyer is a partner of Joe Tacopina and, well, just here:
Court papers filed Monday in Manhattan Supreme Court claim that during Meanwell’s 10-month affair with Cashman, he told her he “knew of Yankee clubhouse steroid use by various Yankee players by name.” Cashman also allegedly shared he “was ambivalent to the use of performance enhancement drugs so long as nothing came back to the Yankee organization.”
The upshot: Meanwell could theoretically be called to the stand in A-Rod’s arbitration and since her lawyer is partners with A-Rod’s lawyer, A-Rod’s has to bow out of the case.
Not sure who would call her given that Meanwell has been accused of extorting Cashman and others, is facing criminal charges and appears to be a profoundly disturbed person. I mean, sure, Tony Bosch is probably a criminal too, but at least he knows something relevant to the case via first-hand information. Meanwell wouldn’t likely know that, and her compromised relationship with Cashman would probably render anything she says that he said hard to believe.
As for the conflict: Tacopina says that Meanwell’s lawyer worked or a different firm and there is no conflict. My guess is that this is something that was figured out or worked out some time ago and the conflict is not a significant or a fatal one for Tacopina. If anything, this is probably a matter of Meanwell trying to insert herself back into Yankees drama. Which is both unfortunate and sad.
Certainly hope not. He’s made this case loads more fun!
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 14
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 11
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 51
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)