Aug 19, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
We start the day with A-Rod silliness, we end the day with A-Rod silliness. I feel like it’s been this way for months and won’t stop anytime soon. The latest, from the New York Daily News: Brian Cashman’s ex-mistress — Louise Meanwell — is alleging that A-Rod’s lawyers have a conflict of interest because her lawyer is a partner of Joe Tacopina and, well, just here:
Court papers filed Monday in Manhattan Supreme Court claim that during Meanwell’s 10-month affair with Cashman, he told her he “knew of Yankee clubhouse steroid use by various Yankee players by name.” Cashman also allegedly shared he “was ambivalent to the use of performance enhancement drugs so long as nothing came back to the Yankee organization.”
The upshot: Meanwell could theoretically be called to the stand in A-Rod’s arbitration and since her lawyer is partners with A-Rod’s lawyer, A-Rod’s has to bow out of the case.
Not sure who would call her given that Meanwell has been accused of extorting Cashman and others, is facing criminal charges and appears to be a profoundly disturbed person. I mean, sure, Tony Bosch is probably a criminal too, but at least he knows something relevant to the case via first-hand information. Meanwell wouldn’t likely know that, and her compromised relationship with Cashman would probably render anything she says that he said hard to believe.
As for the conflict: Tacopina says that Meanwell’s lawyer worked or a different firm and there is no conflict. My guess is that this is something that was figured out or worked out some time ago and the conflict is not a significant or a fatal one for Tacopina. If anything, this is probably a matter of Meanwell trying to insert herself back into Yankees drama. Which is both unfortunate and sad.
Certainly hope not. He’s made this case loads more fun!
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 23
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)