Aug 19, 2013, 9:51 PM EDT
It was just the way Ron Washington drew it up.
Ian Kinsler, the Rangers’ No. 3 hitter, bunted two runners with none out in the bottom of the third with Texas up 2-1 on Houston tonight. An intentional walk to Adrian Beltre followed. Then came the 11 runs.
Here’s the whole gory inning:
- Leonys Martin reaches on bunt single
– Elvis Andrus singles
– Ian Kinsler sacrifices
– Adrian Beltre intentionally walks
– A.J. Pierzynski singles (2 runs)
– Alex Rios singles
– Mitch Moreland doubles (2 runs)
– Jurickson Profar walks
(Pitching change: Wade LeBlanc replaces Lucas Harrell)
– David Murphy reaches on error (2 runs)
– Leonys Martin walks
– Elvis Andrus reaches on error (1 run)
– Ian Kinsler singles (2 runs)
– Adrian Beltre grounds out (1 run)
– A.J. Pierzynski singles (1 run)
– Alex Rios lines out
It was the biggest inning by any team this season (the previous high was nine runs), and none of it would have happened without the bunt. Maybe. Who really knows?
Well, I do know one thing: the Astros shouldn’t be intentionally walking hitters in the third innings of games. They especially shouldn’t have right-handed pitchers intentionally walk right-handed hitters to face left-handed hitters in the third innings of games (Beltre was also intentionally walked in the first. It kind of worked then, though the Rangers did score a run afterwards).
All 11 runs scored after that intentional walk. The Rangers ended up sending 15 hitters to the plate, only one of whom (Moreland) actually picked up an extra-base hit.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)