Aug 19, 2013, 9:51 PM EDT
It was just the way Ron Washington drew it up.
Ian Kinsler, the Rangers’ No. 3 hitter, bunted two runners with none out in the bottom of the third with Texas up 2-1 on Houston tonight. An intentional walk to Adrian Beltre followed. Then came the 11 runs.
Here’s the whole gory inning:
– Leonys Martin reaches on bunt single
– Elvis Andrus singles
– Ian Kinsler sacrifices
– Adrian Beltre intentionally walks
– A.J. Pierzynski singles (2 runs)
– Alex Rios singles
– Mitch Moreland doubles (2 runs)
– Jurickson Profar walks
(Pitching change: Wade LeBlanc replaces Lucas Harrell)
– David Murphy reaches on error (2 runs)
– Leonys Martin walks
– Elvis Andrus reaches on error (1 run)
– Ian Kinsler singles (2 runs)
– Adrian Beltre grounds out (1 run)
– A.J. Pierzynski singles (1 run)
– Alex Rios lines out
It was the biggest inning by any team this season (the previous high was nine runs), and none of it would have happened without the bunt. Maybe. Who really knows?
Well, I do know one thing: the Astros shouldn’t be intentionally walking hitters in the third innings of games. They especially shouldn’t have right-handed pitchers intentionally walk right-handed hitters to face left-handed hitters in the third innings of games (Beltre was also intentionally walked in the first. It kind of worked then, though the Rangers did score a run afterwards).
All 11 runs scored after that intentional walk. The Rangers ended up sending 15 hitters to the plate, only one of whom (Moreland) actually picked up an extra-base hit.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)