Aug 19, 2013, 6:53 PM EDT
Rodriguez and his lawyers believe they have evidence that supports their contention that Chris Ahmad, the Yankees’ team doctor, misdiagnosed A-Rod’s hip injury during last October’s playoffs. They have yet to file the suit as they continue to put together their case.
Rodriguez himself said Sunday that the union is filing a grievance against the Yankees on his behalf over how the Yankees handled his hip injury. This appears to be something entirely different, though.
Rodriguez was limited down the stretch last year and completely ineffective during the postseason, but it wasn’t revealed publically until December that he was battling a hip problem and he didn’t undergo surgery until January. The surgery was performed by Dr. Bryan Kelly.
According to Marchand’s report, Rodriguez’s side will claim Ahmad knew of Rodriguez’s need for surgery as early as Oct. 29, but that Rodriguez wasn’t informed of his results. Rodriguez’s side will also say that Ahmad misdiagnosed the injury following the original MRI on Oct. 11. Rodriguez played in four more games following that MRI. He ended up going 3-for-25 with no RBI and 12 strikeouts in eight postseason games.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)