Aug 19, 2013, 6:53 PM EDT
Rodriguez and his lawyers believe they have evidence that supports their contention that Chris Ahmad, the Yankees’ team doctor, misdiagnosed A-Rod’s hip injury during last October’s playoffs. They have yet to file the suit as they continue to put together their case.
Rodriguez himself said Sunday that the union is filing a grievance against the Yankees on his behalf over how the Yankees handled his hip injury. This appears to be something entirely different, though.
Rodriguez was limited down the stretch last year and completely ineffective during the postseason, but it wasn’t revealed publically until December that he was battling a hip problem and he didn’t undergo surgery until January. The surgery was performed by Dr. Bryan Kelly.
According to Marchand’s report, Rodriguez’s side will claim Ahmad knew of Rodriguez’s need for surgery as early as Oct. 29, but that Rodriguez wasn’t informed of his results. Rodriguez’s side will also say that Ahmad misdiagnosed the injury following the original MRI on Oct. 11. Rodriguez played in four more games following that MRI. He ended up going 3-for-25 with no RBI and 12 strikeouts in eight postseason games.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)