Aug 19, 2013, 9:01 PM EDT
Reports last month that Cuban infielder Alexander Guerrero had agreed to a contract with the Dodgers turned out to be premature, but the 26-year-old has apparently narrowed his list of potential landing spots.
Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN reports that Guerrero is currently deciding between four teams, including the Twins, Dodgers, Red Sox, and Braves. The Reds have also checked in, though it’s not clear if they are a serious possibility. There’s a bit of conflicting information here, as Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Red Sox are not one of the finalists, but that has to bode well for the deep-pocketed Dodgers.
Guerrero, long one of Cuba’s best middle infielders, defected earlier this year and is currently working out in the Dominican Republic. He will need to be unblocked by the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control before signing with an MLB team. Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reported last month that he is expected to command a five- to seven-year deal.
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 48
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)