Aug 19, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
We’ve noted that Ryan Braun‘s public comments about the man who handled his urine sample back when he tested positive for testosterone in 2011 were low rent and uncalled-for, what with the implication, however oblique, that it was possible that the sample was tampered with. Buster Olney reported last night that his private comments — behind the scenes to other players whom he was attempting to rally for support — were worse.
Specifically, he was trying to create the impression among them that the sample collector was out to get him due to either anti-semitism or the fact that he was a Cubs fan:
According to sources, Braun called veteran players around baseball privately at that time to lobby for their support. In the calls — confirmed by three sources — Braun told other players that in the preparation for his appeal, some information had become known about the collector of his urine sample, Dino Laurenzi Jr., including that he was a Cubs fan — with the implication he might work against Braun, who played for a division rival of the Cubs.
Braun, who is Jewish, also told the players that he had been told the collector was an anti-Semite.
This is leaps and bounds beyond what he ever said in his public comments and is, above all else, really pathetic. Especially considering his ultimate defense to the sample was a technical one, related to collection methods, and not one where the motives or character of anyone involved was actually litigated.
Braun is said to be coming around to the idea of “coming clean” soon after the heat dies down. If he does, this is something he had better come clean on and for which he had best find a way to make amends.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)