So, Jeff Pearlman: how do you really feel about Alex Rodriguez?

Aug 19, 2013, 11:40 AM EDT

a-rod getty yankees Getty Images

Jeff Pearlman writes today that Ryan Dempster is a hero for throwing a baseball at Alex Rodriguez. But I’m not quite sure how strongly he feels about it. Please judge for yourself:

F**k you for cheating. F**k you for stealing paychecks. F**k you for influencing the outcomes of games. F**k you for lying. F**k you for dragging us all down. F**k you—Ryan Braun and Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa and Roger Clemens and Miguel Tejada and Nelson Cruz and Barry Bonds and Jhonny Peralta and Paul Lo Duca and every other guy who felt the need to inject nonsense into their bodies to help accomplish what, naturally, they could not.

F**k you.

But no, people aren’t irrationally upset about what a baseball player has done. And me saying that, perhaps, people have blown A-Rod’s transgressions out of proportion is totally radical and crazy and I just do it for page views. Yep.

Say what you want about Pearlman — I know a lot of people don’t care for his stuff — but he is a respected journalist within the industry who regularly publishes well-read books and has spent time at some prestigious publications such as Sports Illustrated. Maybe he’s out there quite a bit, but make no mistake: there are a lot of people who feel this about A-Rod even if they don’t put it in print.

And thus when I say that maybe, just maybe, people in the media are unfairly painting the guy as History’s Greatest Monster, I am not being hysterical.

1. If the Shoe Fits - Aug 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Oh wait- didn’t Pearlman get his SI gig because he declared himself for the NBA draft in a letter to David Stern?

Yes, that was forthright and honest. Not at all to make a show of things.

Because this righteous indignation is just for show- and sadly, I’ve indulged him by wasting my time on this.

2. thebuzzonny - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:17 PM

You remember when Jeff Pearlman was relevant? Me neither.

• eightyraw - Aug 19, 2013 at 6:19 PM

When John Rocker was pitching?

3. jm91rs - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:17 PM

If we didn’t have steroids we wouldn’t even know who Jeff Pearlman is. Another reason to dislike the lasting impacts of performance enhancing drugs.

4. stevequinn - Aug 19, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Did Dumpster set himself up as judge and jury? I’m reminded of a biblical phrase — “Let him without sin cast the first stone.”

5. wheels579 - Aug 19, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Pearlman is entitled to his opinion, but his manner of expression is totally unprofessional. I’m no prude when it comes to cursing, I enjoy it in its proper forums, but he clearly lowered himself to a standard unbecoming of any reputable journalist or scribe. Strong opinions are expressed all the time without profanity, unless you’re Drew Magary or you work for Deadspin. Opinions aside, I lost all respect for Pearlman today.

• eightyraw - Aug 19, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Proper forum? He did it on his personal blog

6. tripleg3 - Aug 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I really regret buying Jeff pearlmans book now that. Pearlman is a complete immature asshole

7. offseasonblues - Aug 19, 2013 at 6:38 PM

“And me saying that, perhaps, people have blown A-Rod’s transgressions out of proportion is totally radical and crazy and I just do it for page views. Yep.”
    When people, including me, make those comments it means they clicked, and that means you did your job well. Be proud.

But I don’t think anyone is really confusing Jared Remy and ARod, I really don’t. Passionate baseball fans express themselves with passion. It is so, so frustrating to know that testing is not catching all use of banned substances and that on any given night the game might be a total fraud. I hate that Soriano may have / probably did use something to fuel his triumphant return to pinstripes, and that since ARod clearly knows how to pass a test he’s probably using as I type. And I hate that I can’t, when a Yankee fan makes a similar accusation, defend Ortiz based on his never having failed a testing era test.

If it was a phony attention grab, I’m not on board, but I’ll forgive Pearlman a few expletives if he was simply speaking from a baseball fan’s passion for the game.

8. wheels579 - Aug 19, 2013 at 6:38 PM

His personal blog is designed for public consumption. He is entitled to use that to express whatever opinions he wishes, but there’s no need for excessive profanity. He could have easily made the same argument without it, and built a career doing just that. It is unprofessional, or else everyone would be doing it.

9. jdillydawg - Aug 19, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Pearlman’s a respected journalist? For real?

Wow. This is a rant that comes from guys who catch their wives banging their best friend. More going on here than stealing paychecks and other crap. A-Rod didn’t steal crap. He (or his agents) convinced every team who wanted him to pony up more money than God, and in so doing, we as fans demanded he live up to those expectations. Making that kind of money, I would have expected A-Rod to be batting .800, winning the Gold Glove every year, and hell, even winning a Cy Young on occasion to go with his Emmy and Oscar.

A lot of players did the same crap as he did for a lot less money. Why is A-Rod worse?

Any credibility Pearlman ever had as a journalist just went out the window with that tirade. What a putz.

10. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Once again, someone tried to drive the nail in ARod’s baseball coffin, and only makes ARod look better by comparison. I think it is time for MLB and the press to stop “helping” if they really want to see this arbitration thing play out. Otherwise we can all look forward to “ARod: An Underdog Story”

11. largebill - Aug 20, 2013 at 2:06 PM

So, this is the state of professional journalism? A reporter basically trying to be cute by using a swear word repeatedly and replacing a couple letters with asterisks? Really? And what provoked that from him? A ball player trying to be better at his profession. Wonder if older reporters castigated new guys for using those new fangled plug in typewriters.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet