Aug 19, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
After last night’s exhausting and, for Boston, dispiriting game against the Yankees, the Red Sox decided to make a lot of moves. One stands out above the others: they plan to call up top prospect Xander Bogaerts some time today, reports Alex Speier of WEEI.
Bogaerts, only 20 years-old, has hit .299/.389/.481 with 15 homers, seven steals and 67 RBI in 115 games this season between Double-A Portland and Triple-A Pawtucket. He is easily the organization’s top prospect and will likely see time at short and third.
In addition to the Bogaerts move, the Sox have activated catcher David Ross from the 60-day DL and sent down Ryan Lavarnway and Rubby De La Rosa to Pawtucket. Those moves, methinks, wont’ bring nearly as much excitement as this one, however.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 16
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 44
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 63
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 54
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)