Aug 20, 2013, 6:47 AM EDT
Marlins 6, Dodgers 2: Jose Fernandez vs. Yasiel Puig in a potential Rookie of the Year matchup. Advantage: Fernandez, who allowed one earned run (two total) in six innings of work with eight strikeouts. He’s 9-5 with a 2.41 ERA and 156 Ks. The Dodgers dropped their second straight. Which hasn’t happened very often lately.
Reds 5, Diamondbacks 3: The Reds win their seventh of nine. That pushes Arizona six back in the race for the final wild card slot, currently occupied by these same Reds.
Rangers 16, Astros 5: You don’t lose many games when you put up an 11-run third inning. Indeed, that was the biggest single inning of runs any team has put up in the majors this year. It started with a bunt single, the first couple of runners were put into scoring position with a no-out sac bunt and only one batter had an extra base hit.
Cubs 11, Nationals 1: Nate Schierholtz was non-tendered last season and spent a good deal of the winter looking for work. He hit two homers last night, drove in six and is hitting. .277/.330/.524 on the year with 18 homers. Funny how that works.
Indians 5, Angels 2: Lonnie Chisenhall hit a two-run homer, Nick Swisher homered and Zach McAllister pitched into the seventh on the first day of the rest of the season without Albert Pujols. Anaheim has lost 11 of 15 and if you could just put up a white flag and end your season early, I figure they would.
Cardinals 8, Brewers 5: Kolten Wong got his first two major league hits after ten hitless at bats to start his major league career, so that’s nice. He stole a couple of bases too. The Cards have won 9 of 11.
Red Sox 7, Giants 0: When Tim Lincecum has been good this year he’s been very, very good but when he’s been bad he’s been horrid. The Sox rung him up for five runs on nine hits in five innings. Jon Lester, meanwhile, shut out the Giants for eight and a third.
Pirates 3, Padres 1: The best pitching award of the night goes to Francisco Liriano, who had thirteen strikeouts in seven shutout innings. Not sure what one wins for the best pitching award of the night. Maybe some steak knives.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 32
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 34
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)