Aug 20, 2013, 7:39 PM EST
The Giants made a flurry of 25-man and 40-man roster moves before Tuesday night’s game vs. the Red Sox.
Our friends at CSNBayArea.com have the goods:
The Giants recalled pitchers Mike Kickham and Jean Machi from Triple-A Fresno and made room on the 25-man roster by placing Chad Gaudin on the disabled list and designating Jeff Francoeur for assignment.
Francoeur signed a minor league contract with San Francisco on July 9, four days after being released by the Royals. He wound up hitting just .194/.206/.226 with zero home runs and 12 strikeouts in 63 plate appearances with the Giants.
The 29-year-old outfielder could struggle to ever make it back to the major league level.
Gaudin is suffering from carpal-tunnel syndrome. He was hammered for eight runs on 11 hits and four walks last Friday against the Marlins. Barry Zito will start in his place in Wednesday’s series finale with Boston.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 255
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (273)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)