Aug 20, 2013, 7:39 PM EDT
The Giants made a flurry of 25-man and 40-man roster moves before Tuesday night’s game vs. the Red Sox.
Our friends at CSNBayArea.com have the goods:
The Giants recalled pitchers Mike Kickham and Jean Machi from Triple-A Fresno and made room on the 25-man roster by placing Chad Gaudin on the disabled list and designating Jeff Francoeur for assignment.
Francoeur signed a minor league contract with San Francisco on July 9, four days after being released by the Royals. He wound up hitting just .194/.206/.226 with zero home runs and 12 strikeouts in 63 plate appearances with the Giants.
The 29-year-old outfielder could struggle to ever make it back to the major league level.
Gaudin is suffering from carpal-tunnel syndrome. He was hammered for eight runs on 11 hits and four walks last Friday against the Marlins. Barry Zito will start in his place in Wednesday’s series finale with Boston.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)