Aug 20, 2013, 7:39 PM EDT
The Giants made a flurry of 25-man and 40-man roster moves before Tuesday night’s game vs. the Red Sox.
Our friends at CSNBayArea.com have the goods:
The Giants recalled pitchers Mike Kickham and Jean Machi from Triple-A Fresno and made room on the 25-man roster by placing Chad Gaudin on the disabled list and designating Jeff Francoeur for assignment.
Francoeur signed a minor league contract with San Francisco on July 9, four days after being released by the Royals. He wound up hitting just .194/.206/.226 with zero home runs and 12 strikeouts in 63 plate appearances with the Giants.
The 29-year-old outfielder could struggle to ever make it back to the major league level.
Gaudin is suffering from carpal-tunnel syndrome. He was hammered for eight runs on 11 hits and four walks last Friday against the Marlins. Barry Zito will start in his place in Wednesday’s series finale with Boston.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)