Aug 20, 2013, 7:39 PM EDT
The Giants made a flurry of 25-man and 40-man roster moves before Tuesday night’s game vs. the Red Sox.
Our friends at CSNBayArea.com have the goods:
The Giants recalled pitchers Mike Kickham and Jean Machi from Triple-A Fresno and made room on the 25-man roster by placing Chad Gaudin on the disabled list and designating Jeff Francoeur for assignment.
Francoeur signed a minor league contract with San Francisco on July 9, four days after being released by the Royals. He wound up hitting just .194/.206/.226 with zero home runs and 12 strikeouts in 63 plate appearances with the Giants.
The 29-year-old outfielder could struggle to ever make it back to the major league level.
Gaudin is suffering from carpal-tunnel syndrome. He was hammered for eight runs on 11 hits and four walks last Friday against the Marlins. Barry Zito will start in his place in Wednesday’s series finale with Boston.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 63
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)