Aug 20, 2013, 7:39 PM EDT
The Giants made a flurry of 25-man and 40-man roster moves before Tuesday night’s game vs. the Red Sox.
Our friends at CSNBayArea.com have the goods:
The Giants recalled pitchers Mike Kickham and Jean Machi from Triple-A Fresno and made room on the 25-man roster by placing Chad Gaudin on the disabled list and designating Jeff Francoeur for assignment.
Francoeur signed a minor league contract with San Francisco on July 9, four days after being released by the Royals. He wound up hitting just .194/.206/.226 with zero home runs and 12 strikeouts in 63 plate appearances with the Giants.
The 29-year-old outfielder could struggle to ever make it back to the major league level.
Gaudin is suffering from carpal-tunnel syndrome. He was hammered for eight runs on 11 hits and four walks last Friday against the Marlins. Barry Zito will start in his place in Wednesday’s series finale with Boston.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 57
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 110
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (110)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)