Aug 20, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Daisuke Matsuzaka was in the mix for a spot in the Indians’ rotation during spring training, but eventually lost that competition to Scott Kazmir and has spent the entire season at Triple-A.
Today the Indians released Matsuzaka after he started 19 games with a 3.92 ERA and 95/39 K/BB ratio in 103 innings for Columbus. Those are decent enough numbers and Matsuzaka had been on a nice run of late before struggling yesterday. Since the All-Star break he posted a 3.13 ERA and 36/9 K/BB ratio in 46 innings.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 0
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 5
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 24
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 29
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (183)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)