Aug 20, 2013, 11:14 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Rhett Bollinger reports that the All-Star catcher has been placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list. He’ll be eligible to return next Tuesday for the opening of a three-game series against the Royals, but the Twins will probably take a very cautious approach with their franchise player.
Mauer was struck in his catcher’s mask with several foul tips on Monday and felt disoriented during pregame batting practice on Tuesday. One could argue that he shouldn’t even have been allowed to test it in BP.
Mauer, 30, is hitting .324/.404/.476 with 11 homers and 47 RBI in 113 games this year.
The fourth-place Twins will start Ryan Doumit at catcher in his absence.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 51
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 99
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 70
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)