Aug 20, 2013, 11:14 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Rhett Bollinger reports that the All-Star catcher has been placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list. He’ll be eligible to return next Tuesday for the opening of a three-game series against the Royals, but the Twins will probably take a very cautious approach with their franchise player.
Mauer was struck in his catcher’s mask with several foul tips on Monday and felt disoriented during pregame batting practice on Tuesday. One could argue that he shouldn’t even have been allowed to test it in BP.
Mauer, 30, is hitting .324/.404/.476 with 11 homers and 47 RBI in 113 games this year.
The fourth-place Twins will start Ryan Doumit at catcher in his absence.
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 112
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (124)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (100)