Aug 20, 2013, 11:14 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Rhett Bollinger reports that the All-Star catcher has been placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list. He’ll be eligible to return next Tuesday for the opening of a three-game series against the Royals, but the Twins will probably take a very cautious approach with their franchise player.
Mauer was struck in his catcher’s mask with several foul tips on Monday and felt disoriented during pregame batting practice on Tuesday. One could argue that he shouldn’t even have been allowed to test it in BP.
Mauer, 30, is hitting .324/.404/.476 with 11 homers and 47 RBI in 113 games this year.
The fourth-place Twins will start Ryan Doumit at catcher in his absence.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (126)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)