Aug 20, 2013, 11:14 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Rhett Bollinger reports that the All-Star catcher has been placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list. He’ll be eligible to return next Tuesday for the opening of a three-game series against the Royals, but the Twins will probably take a very cautious approach with their franchise player.
Mauer was struck in his catcher’s mask with several foul tips on Monday and felt disoriented during pregame batting practice on Tuesday. One could argue that he shouldn’t even have been allowed to test it in BP.
Mauer, 30, is hitting .324/.404/.476 with 11 homers and 47 RBI in 113 games this year.
The fourth-place Twins will start Ryan Doumit at catcher in his absence.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 6
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 55
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 39
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105