Aug 20, 2013, 11:14 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Rhett Bollinger reports that the All-Star catcher has been placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list. He’ll be eligible to return next Tuesday for the opening of a three-game series against the Royals, but the Twins will probably take a very cautious approach with their franchise player.
Mauer was struck in his catcher’s mask with several foul tips on Monday and felt disoriented during pregame batting practice on Tuesday. One could argue that he shouldn’t even have been allowed to test it in BP.
Mauer, 30, is hitting .324/.404/.476 with 11 homers and 47 RBI in 113 games this year.
The fourth-place Twins will start Ryan Doumit at catcher in his absence.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)