Aug 20, 2013, 6:48 PM EST
Joe Mauer, who took several foul tips off his mask in Monday’s game against the Mets, was a late scratch for Tuesday’s game against the Tigers after experiencing dizziness during batting practice.
Even before the dizziness struck, manager Ron Gardenhire said Mauer probably wouldn’t catch in the series against Detroit, according to the Pioneer Press’s Mike Berardino. Mauer was slated to play first base tonight. His exit resulted in Justin Morneau going from DH to first base, Josh Willingham going from left field to DH and Wilkin Ramirez being inserted into the lineup in left field.
That is what we in the know term a downgrade.
Mauer is riding a seven-game hitting streak and has three homers and 12 RBI in August. If he returns to the lineup on Wednesday, it will probably be at first base or DH. It’s clear the Twins’ plan was to have him catch less down the stretch anyway, figuring it’s not worth putting the stress on his legs in a season in which they’re also-rans once again.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 118
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 30
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 35
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)