Aug 20, 2013, 6:48 PM EDT
Joe Mauer, who took several foul tips off his mask in Monday’s game against the Mets, was a late scratch for Tuesday’s game against the Tigers after experiencing dizziness during batting practice.
Even before the dizziness struck, manager Ron Gardenhire said Mauer probably wouldn’t catch in the series against Detroit, according to the Pioneer Press’s Mike Berardino. Mauer was slated to play first base tonight. His exit resulted in Justin Morneau going from DH to first base, Josh Willingham going from left field to DH and Wilkin Ramirez being inserted into the lineup in left field.
That is what we in the know term a downgrade.
Mauer is riding a seven-game hitting streak and has three homers and 12 RBI in August. If he returns to the lineup on Wednesday, it will probably be at first base or DH. It’s clear the Twins’ plan was to have him catch less down the stretch anyway, figuring it’s not worth putting the stress on his legs in a season in which they’re also-rans once again.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 5
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 8
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 7
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)