Aug 20, 2013, 10:59 PM EST
The Blue Jays’ sad year just got a little more depressing: Jose Bautista was placed on the DL after Tuesday’s doubleheader sweep by the Yankees.
The cause is a bone bruise in his left hip that knocked out of this afternoon’s matinee. According to Sportsnet.ca’s Shi Davidi, Bautista hurt the hip weeks ago as he was running from third base to the plate on his way to scoring run.
Bautista entered the day tied for fifth in the AL with 28 homers, tied for 12th with 73 RBI and 10th with an .856 OPS.
The move means Toronto’s entire starting outfield is on the DL. Melky Cabrera has been out since Aug. 2 with a strained left knee, and Colby Rasmus went on the DL a week ago with a strained left oblique.
Kevin Pillar, Rajai Davis and Anthony Gose had been filling in for those two of late. Now they can all play, though someone like Ricardo Nanita or Moises Sierra could be called up to help out. No corresponding roster move was immediately announced.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 75
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 41
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 22
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)