Aug 20, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract is up after this season, but Ryan Divish of the Tacoma News Tribune reports that he’s agreed to a one-year extension. However, when asked about the report Mariners president Chuck Armstrong declined to comment.
Seattle went 85-77 in Zduriencik’s first season as GM in 2009, but since then the Mariners have gone 260-350 (.426) while finishing below .500 every year. This season they’re 57-67, which is a 75-87 pace that would equal last year’s record.
Also of note is that manager Eric Wedge’s contract ends after this season as well, so if ownership doesn’t plan to bring him back for 2014 that could explain why they’re holding off on the Zduriencik announcement.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)