Aug 20, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract is up after this season, but Ryan Divish of the Tacoma News Tribune reports that he’s agreed to a one-year extension. However, when asked about the report Mariners president Chuck Armstrong declined to comment.
Seattle went 85-77 in Zduriencik’s first season as GM in 2009, but since then the Mariners have gone 260-350 (.426) while finishing below .500 every year. This season they’re 57-67, which is a 75-87 pace that would equal last year’s record.
Also of note is that manager Eric Wedge’s contract ends after this season as well, so if ownership doesn’t plan to bring him back for 2014 that could explain why they’re holding off on the Zduriencik announcement.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)