Aug 20, 2013, 4:46 PM EST
On the same day that MLB suspended Ryan Dempster for throwing at Alex Rodriguez in a game he wasn’t ejected from Stephen Strasburg has avoided a suspension for throwing at Andrelton Simmons in a game he was ejected from.
No official announcement has been made yet, but Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that Nationals manager Davey Johnson has also avoided a suspension stemming from Saturday’s incident in which Strasburg plunked Justin Upton in the hip and then later threw consecutive pitches behind Simmons.
Strasburg and Johnson were both ejected because warnings had been issued previously, although they each insisted afterward that the pitches were due to wildness and were not premeditated. Given the previous animosity between the two teams–and the multiple plunkings of Bryce Harper by Braves pitchers recently–that was a hard sell for many people. But apparently not MLB.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 17
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 49
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (134)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)