Aug 20, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
On the same day that MLB suspended Ryan Dempster for throwing at Alex Rodriguez in a game he wasn’t ejected from Stephen Strasburg has avoided a suspension for throwing at Andrelton Simmons in a game he was ejected from.
No official announcement has been made yet, but Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that Nationals manager Davey Johnson has also avoided a suspension stemming from Saturday’s incident in which Strasburg plunked Justin Upton in the hip and then later threw consecutive pitches behind Simmons.
Strasburg and Johnson were both ejected because warnings had been issued previously, although they each insisted afterward that the pitches were due to wildness and were not premeditated. Given the previous animosity between the two teams–and the multiple plunkings of Bryce Harper by Braves pitchers recently–that was a hard sell for many people. But apparently not MLB.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 6
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 20
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 56
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 69
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (94)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)