Aug 20, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
On the same day that MLB suspended Ryan Dempster for throwing at Alex Rodriguez in a game he wasn’t ejected from Stephen Strasburg has avoided a suspension for throwing at Andrelton Simmons in a game he was ejected from.
No official announcement has been made yet, but Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that Nationals manager Davey Johnson has also avoided a suspension stemming from Saturday’s incident in which Strasburg plunked Justin Upton in the hip and then later threw consecutive pitches behind Simmons.
Strasburg and Johnson were both ejected because warnings had been issued previously, although they each insisted afterward that the pitches were due to wildness and were not premeditated. Given the previous animosity between the two teams–and the multiple plunkings of Bryce Harper by Braves pitchers recently–that was a hard sell for many people. But apparently not MLB.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 90
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)