Aug 20, 2013, 4:46 PM EST
On the same day that MLB suspended Ryan Dempster for throwing at Alex Rodriguez in a game he wasn’t ejected from Stephen Strasburg has avoided a suspension for throwing at Andrelton Simmons in a game he was ejected from.
No official announcement has been made yet, but Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that Nationals manager Davey Johnson has also avoided a suspension stemming from Saturday’s incident in which Strasburg plunked Justin Upton in the hip and then later threw consecutive pitches behind Simmons.
Strasburg and Johnson were both ejected because warnings had been issued previously, although they each insisted afterward that the pitches were due to wildness and were not premeditated. Given the previous animosity between the two teams–and the multiple plunkings of Bryce Harper by Braves pitchers recently–that was a hard sell for many people. But apparently not MLB.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 0
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 278
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (279)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)