Power Rankings of MLB uniforms

Aug 20, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT

Cincinnati Reds v St. Louis Cardinals Getty Images

Paul Lukas of UniWatch has issued his annual power rankings of Major League Baseball uniforms.

Obviously this is the most subjective of exercises. If you want any more evidence of that know that the Yankees slid from fourth to seventh in the past year despite the fact they haven’t changed their look in close to a century. The teams that slid above them — the Phillies, Dodgers and Tigers — haven’t changed their uniforms in a long while either. The Tigers were ninth last year because their cap logo was too small. This year sixth because, I dunno, Jose Iglesias wears it better than Jhonny Peralta did?

This stuff stirs people up. But it’s ultimately an aesthetic opinion and those can’t truly be wrong. Well, unless it’s about Nickelback or something.

1. jarathen - Aug 20, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I am proud to see the Angels slide up a spot. Their modern take on classic style will never be as stately and entrenched as the Tigers or Cardinals, for example, but it’s what I enjoy about baseball uniforms – understated design.

• fanofevilempire - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Yankee hats and jerseys ALL over the world because they are CLASSIC!
      They have two jerseys that have never changed and they have one hat, that
      has never changed and no names on uniforms and the pinstripes make you
      look slim.

The interlocking NY is a tribute to the fallen Police.

• bendover09 - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I guess the Yankees have two things in common with their uniforms … Old & overused

• bravojawja - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:56 AM

“The pinstripes make you look slim”?

Seriously?

• drewzducks - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Their slimming? How grand. And to think that we all thought CC was garbage now because he had lost too much weight.

• km9000 - Aug 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I’ve always wanted them to bring back the early 90s navy/red jerseys as alternates. They looked sharp, and the red/red gets kinda tedious.

• jarathen - Aug 20, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I really liked the “CA” logo from the early to mid-90s and generally prefer the navy/red look. There is an abundance of red, and while it works in that division, there are a ton of teams that use red.

2. kopy - Aug 20, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I enjoy some of Paul Lukas’s work. But it’s frustrating how, to him, the best-looking uniforms are always the oldest. He seems to put nostalgia before true visual appeal. Put the Original 6 in any order and those are his favorite NHL uniforms.

• fanofevilempire - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:12 AM

He’s old school, teams change every year now, nothing nostalgic about that.

• Francisco (FC) - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Extremely old school, he hasn’t met a solid colored jersey yet that he likes. Almost invariably everything has to be home whites and road grays. How boring.

• Tim's Neighbor - Aug 20, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Ever think those particular jersey designs are the ones that have been classic because they were good designs to begin with? I mean, if they sucked, they would have been scrapped long ago.

3. dondada10 - Aug 20, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Thanks to their new shitastic alternate cap the Mets lost 7 spots, falling to 14th.

4. twinsapologist - Aug 20, 2013 at 9:40 AM

The Royals and Orioles belong in the top 5, in my opinion. Those are my top two. I like that he doesn’t overrate the Yankees uniforms. They’re still great, but he’s right about the pinstripes being ugly on the pajama pants.

• moogro - Aug 20, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Something always comforting about seeing those uniforms.

5. daveitsgood - Aug 20, 2013 at 9:42 AM

This ranking lost all matter of any authority and relevance when it said to keep the Braves navy tops, but not their Sunday home retro jerseys. For shame. Clearly this ranking is biased and subjective and is lacking in its usage of the scientific method.

6. drewzducks - Aug 20, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Only in the world of “pretty uniforms” could the Jays be #8 in MLB.

7. dondada10 - Aug 20, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I just got done reading the comments he makes on all 30 teams’ uniforms. You get the feeling he would roll a uniform up and fuck it.

8. historiophiliac - Aug 20, 2013 at 9:56 AM

This list is always bullshit. He picks the Cards every time — he’s such a uni homer. There is no way in hell that the Dodgers and Phillies uniforms are better than the Tigers’. Also, way to sneak in some fat-shaming snark on Fielder. Jerk.

As an aside, has anyone else noticed how Sanchez makes the whole thing look disco-tastic? Grrrr.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM

He picks them because they are the sharpest looking uniforms.
      I know it…he know’s it…and YOU know it.

• historiophiliac - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:17 AM

They’re fugly and busy. It looks like someone made it in home ec — with the bird on the bat. It’s a grandma uni.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Lol! I refuse to believe that you actually mean that. They have are old school and always have been.
        The birds on the bat!

• historiophiliac - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM

You’re momma dresses you funny.

• historiophiliac - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Dammit!

*your

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Lol! Your Momma likes the Birds on the Bat.

• historiophiliac - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:25 AM

She most certainly does not. She rocks the OE D. That is all.

• Craig Calcaterra - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM

How does picking the Cards make him a uni-homer? He’s a Mets fan.

• historiophiliac - Aug 20, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Homer of the uni — not the team.

Also, it freaks me out when you reply to me. I haven’t even had enough coffee yet.

9. paperlions - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:02 AM

At least post a pick of the Cardinals new alternate jersey’s only worn on home Saturday games. They are fantastic….though, they didn’t convey any baseball skills to Ty Wiggington, sadly.

• Francisco (FC) - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Wait, that sad sack is STILL with the Cardinals? You need to lecture Moz again.

• paperlions - Aug 20, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Nah, they dumped him a while ago, even though he still have a year and a half left on his horrible deal. See, Craig trolls non-Philly fans too (in his own little way)

10. yahmule - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Cleveland should be last.

• Alex K - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:29 AM

For my money there is no better looking uniform than the Cubs home blue pinstripes.

• historiophiliac - Aug 20, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Oh, please. You like ice cream.

• Alex K - Aug 20, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Wrong. I love ice cream. Don’t sell me short.

• ptfu - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Heh. Apparently it’s worse to not wear your road grays, or to look bland and uninspiring, than to include Chief Wahoo.

11. cohnjusack - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Great moments in work procrastination.

1. Thinks “Ugg, who could possibly care about this”. Clicks open article
    2. Thinks “this is so stupid”. Reads entire article
    3. Thinks “what a waste of time”. Clicks link to read original article
    4. Think “Oh my god, do some fucking work”. Instead posts this comment.

• historiophiliac - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:23 AM

You could kill more time if you leave comments on the other comments too.

12. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM

This list makes no sense. The Orioles JUST won the Battle of the Uniforms 3 months ago. On the same site. Don’t these people read their own articles?

• 18thstreet - Aug 20, 2013 at 11:52 AM

He’s entitled to his own opinion. I basically agree with him, though when I think of teams’ uniforms, I think of the basic versions. He’s right to dock the Red Sox for their alternates. The tomato-can red one is inexplicable to me. It must sell well with the fans or something, but I hate it. (The navy one isn’t bad, but I’m just opposed to extra jerseys on principle.)

For my tastes, the Giants and Tigers have the best uniforms. And I’m surprised he’s so hard on the Astros, whose new version I think is really awesome.

13. natstowngreg - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I’m OK with the Nats being near the bottom. Three caps are too many, and I’ve lost count of how many jersey/pant combinations they have. Granted, they haven’t been around long enough to establish a “classic” look, but they haven’t even tried.

Watching Saturday night, with the Nats in their red jerseys and two-toned caps, I thought they were the Braves. That’s about the most damning thing a Nats fan can say about their uniforms.

14. apmn - Aug 20, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I don’t get how the Astros get new uniforms that are a huge improvement over the previous set (especially the logo) but somehow they fall 4 spots. Especially since he favors the retro look.

15. RoyHobbs39 - Aug 20, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I am a big fan of Lukas’s. I get a kick out of reading his UniWatch blog. There was a post this morning/last night about a Cuban defector and had his picture. Somebody made a comment about his red hat/jersey/pants and communism. My first thought was “This is something Paul Lukas could fill in a article with.”

That being said, this is my least favorite piece of his every year. I could read him talk about the road jerseys of a minor league and how they were sponsored by some random meat-packing company with a hippopotamus for a logo, but I don’t want him telling me why one is better than the other.

16. chiadam - Aug 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Highlights of my Cub fandom:
    1. 2003 NLCS (yep, that was the best it got for me)
    2. 1984
    3. Cubs uniforms finish 2nd in online ranking by some guy
    4. that one time a girl fell out of her bikini top at Wrigley
    5. Shawn-o-Meter

17. Kevin Gillman - Aug 20, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I am so sick and tired of people cutting on the Chief Wahoo when 98% of those people AREN’T Native American. Ask them if they are offended, then and only then would I think it’s a good idea to change.

• historiophiliac - Aug 20, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Are you living under a rock that you are unaware of the protests?

• Kevin Gillman - Aug 20, 2013 at 1:22 PM

No, but I have to say even that is a small percentage. I know they easing out of that phase, but if that happens, I want Washington Redskins to change their name, and Atlanta Braves to stop the OFFENSIVE chop they do, along with Florida Seminoles. I mean why stop with ONE team when we get rid of every single one of them?

• historiophiliac - Aug 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Hmmm, are you agreeing that it should be changed? I am unclear. FYI, they all get protested (except FL, I think, because they worked out a partnership with the Seminole Nation)..

• Kevin Gillman - Aug 20, 2013 at 1:32 PM

No, I don’t think it should change, but I also am realistic, because it will. But here is what I am getting at, this is about uniforms, so mention Indians uniforms, not their hats. The last two year, this guy that writes this stuff has said the same thing, about Chief Wahoo being gone. If you’re an Indians fan, like I am you tend to get tired of reading about it. Chief Wahoo used to be on the uniforms, but they cut that out a long time ago. Let’s discuss the blue tops, and how that is an upgrade over the gray tops?

• yahmule - Aug 20, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I would get tired of the mental gymnastics required to make myself believe things like Chief Wahoo or the Redskins aren’t racist. I would feel somewhat complicit if I lived in a town or supported a team with that kind of name or imagery.

18. pjm1120 - Aug 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Terrible list. The fact that the nationals aren’t in the top 5 is a joke.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2915)