Ryan Dempster declines to appeal five-game suspension

Aug 20, 2013, 8:16 PM EDT

Alex Rodriguez Getty Images

While still maintaining his innocence Tuesday, Ryan Dempster decided not to appeal the five-game suspension handed down by MLB. He started serving the penalty with Tuesday’s game against the Giants.

Dempster insisted Tuesday that he was just trying to pitch inside when, in the second inning of Sunday’s tilt between the Yankees and Red Sox, he hit Alex Rodriguez with a fastball. On what appeared to be at least the second try.

“No, I’m just accepting the suspension because I think it’s the best thing for us an organization,” Dempster said. “We’re trying to go out and win a division and get to the ultimate goal. You know, I’m just going to accept my suspension and move past it. Put the incident behind us and just go out there and continue to play baseball like we did last night.”

As opposed to when he hurt the cause by putting the leadoff man with a 2-0 lead Sunday. Dempster wound up allowing two runs in the second inning and seven overall in a 9-6 loss.

The Red Sox have Thursday and next Monday off, so Dempster’s suspension is no problem for them. Dempster’s turn was due to come up Saturday, but now he’ll pitch next Tuesday at the earliest.

1. jcmeyer10 - Aug 20, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I am a Sox fan who thinks he should truly miss a start. I think he should have gotten once pitch to hit A-Rod and he missed his chance. He pushed the envelope and I wish he actually would be punished.

Maybe missing a start would be too beneficial to the Sox.

• joestemme - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:23 PM

#$#@ A-Roid.

• jcmeyer10 - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I get it but I don’t. A-Rods quest was to be one of the best ever. Nobody will ever look at his numbers without thinking of his PED use. I reckon that’s punishment enough for a guy like that.

A-Rod got the exact opposite of what he wanted. Let’s not pretend like he killed someone.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I am also a Sox fan and feel like he should miss maybe 2 starts….or 3….

Another fine middling NL pitcher brought to the AL to unsurprisingly fartastic results.

• badintent - Aug 21, 2013 at 1:36 AM

He should go back to Gibsons , BC and do what everyone else does there. grow weed, smoke dope, watch Canucks choke in playoffs. Drive snowmobile on cliff, start avalanche , kill hikers.Claim he had no clue.

2. jdillydawg - Aug 20, 2013 at 9:31 PM

What’s to appeal?

Nice fake, though.

3. manxman97 - Aug 20, 2013 at 9:35 PM

“I am shocked…shocked…to learn there is headhunting going on at this establishment.”
    Clearly Dempster intended to hit A-Rod, so he must be suspended (just not long enough to actually inconvenience the BoSox or Dempster); he deserved to be ejected as this was intentional, so we applaud the umpiring that allowed Dempster to continue while ejecting the manager who argued he deserved to be ejected (huh?!?); and of course we need to fine Dempster the outrageously extravagant sum of $2500 to make sure he will learn from this experience (and learn that we will always fine the guy who was in the right twice as much, so fine Girardi $5000).
    So spaketh MLB.

For any team or pitcher who cannot read between the lines, MLB just declared open season on A-Rod’s head.
    Until Bud Selig and his pals stop using baseball as their personal playground for bullying, I cannot be a baseball fan. Yes, A-Rod deserves a lot of the crap he gets, but this is just wrong.

• joestemme - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:23 PM

$#$@ A-Roid.

• dcarroll73 - Aug 20, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I don’t think that this will be interpreted as open season on A-rod. I think other teams will realize that the next clown to pull this will probably get ejected and suspended a meaningful number of games. As I have written in previous posts on this topic, if MLB won’t police this, I very much hope that the Yanks will. Bring up a pitcher from the minors known to throw 90+ but have control issues and tell him throw as hard as you possibly can at the best hitter on the offending team. When he gets suspended, bring up another guy for the next opponent. If the non-Borg worlds want war, I say, “Prepare to be assimilated.”

• dan1111 - Aug 21, 2013 at 3:00 AM

The umpires’ action in this case was not unusual. Pitchers generally do not get ejected for the first time they a batter. They get a warning, then ejections start if anyone else gets hit during the game.

I see no evidence that the MLB is letting Dempster get away with something because it is A-Rod. Five game suspensions for starting pitchers are kind of a joke, but they are also typical for an offense like this. It usually takes much more serious offenses to get a longer suspension. For example, in order to earn a ten game suspension, Ian Kennedy hit two players near the head.

4. multiplemiggs - Aug 20, 2013 at 9:56 PM

This is like trying someone for murder when there is no factual evidence that proves beyond a reasonable doubt that the crime was intentional. Like Gotti’s lawyer said “so you’re a mind reader now? you can read his mind??”

• jcmeyer10 - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I’m not a huge fan of Olbermann but he laid out a pretty clear case. That and I watched the game. A professional pitcher missing behind someone is pretty much saying, I could hit you but I won’t. Too bad Dempster is struggling enough that he missed and couldn’t throw at him a second time. So he worked some weak inside pitches then went for the ribs/high.

It was embrassing.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Ok….if it wasn’t intentional than maybe we can call it a “5 Game Learn How to Fucking Pitch In A Professional Sports League Time-Out”.

IF it wasn’t intetional.

• s0krat3s - Aug 21, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Pitch 1: so far inside it goes behind A-Rod
      Pitch 2: far inside
      Pitch 3: far inside
      Pitch 4: nails him on the arm.

A-Rod is 6’3 228 lbs. Dempster should be more ashamed that it took him four tries to hit him.

• dan1111 - Aug 21, 2013 at 2:13 AM

This isn’t a court case. Rules give the MLB discretion in deciding whether a player’s action was intentional. Yes, they get it wrong sometimes. But the alternative would be never punishing anyone for hitting a batter, because there is always the possibility that it was accidental. That would lead to pitchers plunking batters at will, a very dangerous situation.

In general, applying the “beyond a reasonable doubt” rule to sports discipline is just ridiculous. Do you think a hockey player should get a jury trial before he gets sent to the penalty box?

Fortunately, Dempster won’t face the death penalty or even life in prison for his offense. He will merely have a start pushed back a few days (at most–arguably the Sox should have skipped his turn over this stretch anyway).

5. sayheysayhey - Aug 20, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I really don’t want to go into this all this about girardi just check it out here…http://enjoythestadium.blogspot.com/

6. yankees218 - Aug 21, 2013 at 12:01 AM

For someone who tried to come off so “innocent”, he took that suspension as someone who was 100% guilty.

Dempster: worst liar ever.
    Farrell: second worst liar ever.

• nrhaus - Aug 21, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Worse liar than the guy he hit?

• yankees218 - Aug 27, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Did I say that? I never said I liked A-rod. But Dempster, aside from A-rod’s situation, is still a liar…

• dan1111 - Aug 21, 2013 at 2:17 AM

It does seem clear that Dempster was tring to hit A-Rod.

However, the choice to accept the suspension should not be taken as evidence of such. Most of these appeal/accept decisions are made on purely strategic grounds to make the timing of the suspension as convenient as possible. In this case, serving it now works well for the Sox.

• yankees218 - Aug 27, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Maybe, but you’re telling me if you were accused of doing something you didn’t do, that you’d just lie down and take it? Doubtful.

7. ashtongronholz8 - Aug 21, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Well he can’t just say he did it on purpose, he has people to tell him what to say and make the littlest impact. He feels it was worth it as do I. A rod is a cheater

8. mudhead123 - Aug 21, 2013 at 2:03 AM

How do redsox fans even comment on this? They have a user on their team now and two titles won by cheaters

• dan1111 - Aug 21, 2013 at 2:30 AM

I guess we should just all stop watching baseball, since there have been steroid users (and other kinds of cheaters) on every team.

9. yousuxxors - Aug 21, 2013 at 2:36 AM

I don’t understand why people are so surprised that these athletes did PEDs . america has a horrible drug problem, recreational and medical . pharmaceutical companies spend more on advertising than research. everyone wants a pill for something. sad? here you go high blood pressure? here you go when in fact a lot if the time these problems can be fixed without them. sick of this for the children shit. if we are so worried about the kids then maybe we all need to change as a country so people like arod do not see drugs as the ultimate solution but last resort.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS