Aug 20, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
In “Major League,” Indians manager Lou Brown tells his speedy hitoff man, Willie Mays Hayes to quit swinging for the fences and to use his natural speed to get on base and make things happen. If not? Consequences:
Well, you may run like Mays, but you hit like s**t. With your speed, you should hit the ball on the ground and be legging them out. Every time I see you hit one in the air, you owe me 20 pushups.
Ryne Sandberg was nicer about it with Phillies ledoff man Jimmy Rollins, but the gist is the same. From the Philadelphia Daily News, a story about how Sandberg is telling Rollins to cut down on his home run swing and hit grounders and liners so as to use his speed. Sandberg:
I would like him not to focus on hitting home runs … What I think for Jimmy at the top of the lineup with his speed and his baserunning and as good as he is as a baserunner, he’s got to get on base. I don’t think him focusing on hitting 15 to 20 home runs in the right approach for him.
If that doesn’t happen, Sandberg suggested Rollins could be dropped from the leadoff spot.
You can do those things when you first take over and the team isn’t going anywhere. And Sandberg’s comments about wanting to see Rollins getting on base above all else have to be welcome to Phillies fans. It’ll be interesting to see, however, whether Rollins — a guy who has not been pleased by past efforts to mess with him at the top of the lineup — takes to this or not.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)