Aug 20, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
In “Major League,” Indians manager Lou Brown tells his speedy hitoff man, Willie Mays Hayes to quit swinging for the fences and to use his natural speed to get on base and make things happen. If not? Consequences:
Well, you may run like Mays, but you hit like s**t. With your speed, you should hit the ball on the ground and be legging them out. Every time I see you hit one in the air, you owe me 20 pushups.
Ryne Sandberg was nicer about it with Phillies ledoff man Jimmy Rollins, but the gist is the same. From the Philadelphia Daily News, a story about how Sandberg is telling Rollins to cut down on his home run swing and hit grounders and liners so as to use his speed. Sandberg:
I would like him not to focus on hitting home runs … What I think for Jimmy at the top of the lineup with his speed and his baserunning and as good as he is as a baserunner, he’s got to get on base. I don’t think him focusing on hitting 15 to 20 home runs in the right approach for him.
If that doesn’t happen, Sandberg suggested Rollins could be dropped from the leadoff spot.
You can do those things when you first take over and the team isn’t going anywhere. And Sandberg’s comments about wanting to see Rollins getting on base above all else have to be welcome to Phillies fans. It’ll be interesting to see, however, whether Rollins — a guy who has not been pleased by past efforts to mess with him at the top of the lineup — takes to this or not.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)