Aug 20, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
Dodgers phenom Yasiel Puig was fined Tuesday afternoon for arriving late to Marlins Park and held out of the lineup for Tuesday’s game due to poor recent performance. But none of that could stop this train.
Puig entered as a pinch-hitter Tuesday night in the top of the eighth inning with the score tied 4-4 and promptly hit a solo home run off and over the top of the left-center field wall to put the Dodgers ahead of the Marlins for good; L.A. wound up winning 6-4.
Puig is still learning basic things about the ins and outs of Major League Baseball culture and there are times when his aggressive personality on and off the field has led to trouble, but the kid’s ability and star power can’t be denied.
The 22-year-old Cuban defector is batting .354/.414/.569 with 12 home runs and 48 runs scored through his first 68 big league games. The National League West-leading Dodgers are 48-20 in those 68 games.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)