Aug 20, 2013, 10:50 PM EST
Dodgers phenom Yasiel Puig was fined Tuesday afternoon for arriving late to Marlins Park and held out of the lineup for Tuesday’s game due to poor recent performance. But none of that could stop this train.
Puig entered as a pinch-hitter Tuesday night in the top of the eighth inning with the score tied 4-4 and promptly hit a solo home run off and over the top of the left-center field wall to put the Dodgers ahead of the Marlins for good; L.A. wound up winning 6-4.
Puig is still learning basic things about the ins and outs of Major League Baseball culture and there are times when his aggressive personality on and off the field has led to trouble, but the kid’s ability and star power can’t be denied.
The 22-year-old Cuban defector is batting .354/.414/.569 with 12 home runs and 48 runs scored through his first 68 big league games. The National League West-leading Dodgers are 48-20 in those 68 games.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 7
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 62
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4