Aug 20, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
Dodgers phenom Yasiel Puig was fined Tuesday afternoon for arriving late to Marlins Park and held out of the lineup for Tuesday’s game due to poor recent performance. But none of that could stop this train.
Puig entered as a pinch-hitter Tuesday night in the top of the eighth inning with the score tied 4-4 and promptly hit a solo home run off and over the top of the left-center field wall to put the Dodgers ahead of the Marlins for good; L.A. wound up winning 6-4.
Puig is still learning basic things about the ins and outs of Major League Baseball culture and there are times when his aggressive personality on and off the field has led to trouble, but the kid’s ability and star power can’t be denied.
The 22-year-old Cuban defector is batting .354/.414/.569 with 12 home runs and 48 runs scored through his first 68 big league games. The National League West-leading Dodgers are 48-20 in those 68 games.
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 75
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 19
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 8
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 61
- World Series, Game 7: Giants vs. Royals lineups 3
- Remembering World Series Game 7s of the past 30 years 30
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (146)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)