Aug 20, 2013, 10:50 PM EST
Dodgers phenom Yasiel Puig was fined Tuesday afternoon for arriving late to Marlins Park and held out of the lineup for Tuesday’s game due to poor recent performance. But none of that could stop this train.
Puig entered as a pinch-hitter Tuesday night in the top of the eighth inning with the score tied 4-4 and promptly hit a solo home run off and over the top of the left-center field wall to put the Dodgers ahead of the Marlins for good; L.A. wound up winning 6-4.
Puig is still learning basic things about the ins and outs of Major League Baseball culture and there are times when his aggressive personality on and off the field has led to trouble, but the kid’s ability and star power can’t be denied.
The 22-year-old Cuban defector is batting .354/.414/.569 with 12 home runs and 48 runs scored through his first 68 big league games. The National League West-leading Dodgers are 48-20 in those 68 games.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)