Aug 21, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Handing out huge long-term contracts to Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton has worked out horribly for the Angels and only figures to get worse, but one of their big free agent commitments is going just fine.
When the Angels inked C.J. Wilson to a five-year, $77.5 million deal it was met with a lot of criticism, but Wilson was a solid innings-eater last season and has been very good this year as the rest of the rotation has fallen apart around him.
Wilson tossed 7.1 innings of one-run ball against the Indians last night, lowering his ERA to 3.30. Since signing with the Angels he’s started 60 games and thrown 369 innings with a 3.59 ERA. That’s a clear step down from his three-year run as a starter for the Rangers that got Wilson the big contract, but by the end of this season he’ll likely have been worth around $30 million according to Fan Graphs’ valuation system.
Wilson is 32 years old and has another three seasons left on the deal, so things going well don’t mean the Angels won’t regret the signing eventually, but on a roster filled with disappointing performances he’s been worth the money.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 7
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 159
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 20
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (167)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)