Aug 21, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Handing out huge long-term contracts to Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton has worked out horribly for the Angels and only figures to get worse, but one of their big free agent commitments is going just fine.
When the Angels inked C.J. Wilson to a five-year, $77.5 million deal it was met with a lot of criticism, but Wilson was a solid innings-eater last season and has been very good this year as the rest of the rotation has fallen apart around him.
Wilson tossed 7.1 innings of one-run ball against the Indians last night, lowering his ERA to 3.30. Since signing with the Angels he’s started 60 games and thrown 369 innings with a 3.59 ERA. That’s a clear step down from his three-year run as a starter for the Rangers that got Wilson the big contract, but by the end of this season he’ll likely have been worth around $30 million according to Fan Graphs’ valuation system.
Wilson is 32 years old and has another three seasons left on the deal, so things going well don’t mean the Angels won’t regret the signing eventually, but on a roster filled with disappointing performances he’s been worth the money.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)