Aug 21, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Handing out huge long-term contracts to Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton has worked out horribly for the Angels and only figures to get worse, but one of their big free agent commitments is going just fine.
When the Angels inked C.J. Wilson to a five-year, $77.5 million deal it was met with a lot of criticism, but Wilson was a solid innings-eater last season and has been very good this year as the rest of the rotation has fallen apart around him.
Wilson tossed 7.1 innings of one-run ball against the Indians last night, lowering his ERA to 3.30. Since signing with the Angels he’s started 60 games and thrown 369 innings with a 3.59 ERA. That’s a clear step down from his three-year run as a starter for the Rangers that got Wilson the big contract, but by the end of this season he’ll likely have been worth around $30 million according to Fan Graphs’ valuation system.
Wilson is 32 years old and has another three seasons left on the deal, so things going well don’t mean the Angels won’t regret the signing eventually, but on a roster filled with disappointing performances he’s been worth the money.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)