Aug 21, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Handing out huge long-term contracts to Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton has worked out horribly for the Angels and only figures to get worse, but one of their big free agent commitments is going just fine.
When the Angels inked C.J. Wilson to a five-year, $77.5 million deal it was met with a lot of criticism, but Wilson was a solid innings-eater last season and has been very good this year as the rest of the rotation has fallen apart around him.
Wilson tossed 7.1 innings of one-run ball against the Indians last night, lowering his ERA to 3.30. Since signing with the Angels he’s started 60 games and thrown 369 innings with a 3.59 ERA. That’s a clear step down from his three-year run as a starter for the Rangers that got Wilson the big contract, but by the end of this season he’ll likely have been worth around $30 million according to Fan Graphs’ valuation system.
Wilson is 32 years old and has another three seasons left on the deal, so things going well don’t mean the Angels won’t regret the signing eventually, but on a roster filled with disappointing performances he’s been worth the money.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)