Cal Ripken Jr. is having thoughts about managing

Aug 21, 2013, 11:55 PM EST

Legendary Orioles player Ripken, Jr. listens to tributes prior to unveiling of statue in Baltimore Reuters

While he skirts the subject of whether he might actually go after a job, Cal Ripken Jr. has had thoughts of managing a big-league team, he indicated this week on Table Manners.

“I don’t know. I’ve been asked to interview for managing jobs before, not too long ago,” he said. “And I’ve always thought, if you have no interest in taking in then you shouldn’t go through the process. But I’m curious as I’ll get out there, what questions are they going to ask? What baseball quiz are they going to give me that I can’t answer? So to me it’s interesting.”

Ripken also mentioned some of the other new managers that he played with during his Hall of Fame career, like Don Mattingly and Robin Ventura.

Of course, if Ripken did decide he wanted to manage, the Orioles job probably isn’t going to be open for at least another two or three years with Buck Showalter doing such good work. Ripken would probably be better off going elsewhere anyway. He’s untouchable in Baltimore as is, but that might not be the case after a couple of 70-92 finishes.

Here’s the video:

1. goskinsvt - Aug 22, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I wonder if he would be a fit for the Nationals job after Davey Johnson retires this year, given his connections to the area? I know he was interested in an O’s front office position a couple years back but was shut down by Angelos, so it would be interesting to see where, if anywhere he might end up…

2. tomtravis76 - Aug 22, 2013 at 12:53 AM

He would be a perfect fit with the Nationals. The Lerners and Rizzo should at lest explore this opportunity. Orioles fans would enjoy being right up the road being able to follow Ripken, and when Buck leaves, well maybe he would be open to a return to the Orioles.

• voteforno6 - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:00 AM

No! Ripken has no managerial experience, and there’s no reason to assume that he would know how to handle a team on the big league level (particularly in managing a bullpen). If he’s really that interested, he should earn his way up through the minor league system of a team. The Nats have in-house candidates that would be better suited to manage the team – if they go to an outside person, it should be someone with more experience.

• pbastille - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Pretty sure he might have learned a thing or two from his dad about managing — at least about managing mediocrely

• europoljuice - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Don’t forget. He learned over years and years of being around MLB. He played under Earl Weaver ( RIP Earl )..and his own father was a coach. He grew up in a MLB family. No reason why he wouldn’t do well.

• randomdigits - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:04 AM

You are displaying a very poor understanding of Baltimore fans.

They would not be happy at all to see Cal managing in Washington.

• tomtravis76 - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Sure the Smalltimore fans drinking the piss water Natty Boh inside 695 will have problems with it, but its business. Cal is a mind you want in your organization. That’s on Angelos, and he is just a d!ck. Now Cal going up north would be an issue.

Baltimore/DC baseball and football are two different animals.

• aceshigh11 - Aug 22, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Natty Boh?? EFF THAT SHIT!

PABST. BLUE. RIBBON!

• joeflaccosunibrow - Aug 22, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Old Milwaukee!

3. missthemexpos - Aug 22, 2013 at 12:57 AM

The Blue Jays could have an opening soon!

4. Carl Hancock - Aug 22, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Ugh. I’m no Baltimore Orioles fan despite them being one of the local popular teams and the home of their Triple A team, but the thought of Cal Ripken wearing any uniform other than an Orioles uniform makes me cringe. The only thing worse is the thought of him managing the Orioles. What if he bombs as a manager? This is a good example of why I’m not a fan of Hall of Famers, especially one team Hall of Famers in the modern era, becoming managers. Mike Matheny, Robin Ventura, Joe Girardi… all good players but NOT Hall of Game players. Could you imagine Mariano Rivera being the pitching coach for the San Francisco Giants after he retires? That’s what this would be like. It reminds me of seeing Bob Gibson coach for the Mets and Braves. Makes me cringe.

• largebill - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Why does the thought of great pitchers passing on their habits and information to a new generation make you cringe? Many very good & great pitchers went on to have long careers as pitching coaches. I’d be thrilled to have a Mike Maddux or Mariano Rivera, etc, etc, etc as my teams pitching coach.

• psuorioles - Aug 22, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I agree with you… As an O’s fan, I don’t want Cal managing the team after Buck is done. If he flops as a manager everybody’s perception of him changes… Mike Flannigan is a prime example and ended up taking his own life, in which a lot of his old teammates said his failures as the GM with the O’s was one of the reasons… I don’t think Cal would take it that far, but not something I want to see as a fan.

• badintent - Aug 23, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Can you imagine Yankee ace Dave Rigetti being the pitching coach for the SF Giants for over 10 years ? If he could do it and do a great job of it, Mo can too. But I do agree that a guy like Joe ( a smart catcher that knew the game well ) is better as a manager because he has a much better understanding and patience of a player’s ups and downs during the long season.
      Cal was a complete player and as a HOF , he got along well with both team mates and coaches. A year or two at AAA level will provide a good foundation for him.

5. relggigeht - Aug 22, 2013 at 6:12 AM

He looks like Steve Wilkos:)

• pbastille - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Uncle Fester minus the light bulb…

6. jacquelinellhill - Aug 22, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Only seriously intrested people will be warmly welcomed,Thanks,,
    you have to work and use the computer and internet, and if you can do that and dedicate some time each day then you can do this with no problem. I have been working with this for a month and have made over $2,000 already. let me know if you need more here you go… “~ http://xurl.es/jcyjo

7. jacquelinellhill - Aug 22, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Only seriously intrested people will be warmly welcomed,Thanks,,
    you have to work and use the computer and internet, and if you can do that and dedicate some time each day then you can do this with no problem.\

8. meattornado - Aug 22, 2013 at 7:19 AM

“Oh, you need a day off?”

9. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I always figured Cal for a management position, or something in scouting rather than managing. With his work with the Iron Birds and Ripken Baseball, he has been building great experience and it seems more fitting for him. I just can’t really see him on the field yelling at a umpire.

That said, I know they would find a spot for him in Baltimore, and several times Peter Angelos has made overtures toward him, and the city would LOVE to see him come back home.

No way I see him anywhere else but Baltimore. This place is his home, it’s always been his home and it will always be his home. Anywhere else is just wrong.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4014)