Aug 21, 2013, 11:55 PM EST
While he skirts the subject of whether he might actually go after a job, Cal Ripken Jr. has had thoughts of managing a big-league team, he indicated this week on Table Manners.
“I don’t know. I’ve been asked to interview for managing jobs before, not too long ago,” he said. “And I’ve always thought, if you have no interest in taking in then you shouldn’t go through the process. But I’m curious as I’ll get out there, what questions are they going to ask? What baseball quiz are they going to give me that I can’t answer? So to me it’s interesting.”
Ripken also mentioned some of the other new managers that he played with during his Hall of Fame career, like Don Mattingly and Robin Ventura.
Of course, if Ripken did decide he wanted to manage, the Orioles job probably isn’t going to be open for at least another two or three years with Buck Showalter doing such good work. Ripken would probably be better off going elsewhere anyway. He’s untouchable in Baltimore as is, but that might not be the case after a couple of 70-92 finishes.
Here’s the video:
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 130
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 258
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (258)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)