Aug 21, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
It’s probably too late to do the Nationals much good, but Dan Haren has turned his season around in a big way following a miserable start.
Haren signed a one-year, $13 million deal with the Nationals after the Angels declined his $15.5 million option, buying him out for $3.5 million instead. He was coming off multiple injuries and needed to re-establish his value, but through the end of June he was 4-9 with a 6.15 ERA and league-high 19 homers allowed. Then he spent two weeks on the disabled list with shoulder inflammation.
And he’s been fantastic since coming off the DL. Haren tossed six innings of one-run ball against the Cubs last night, giving him a 2.16 ERA and 50/10 K/BB ratio in 50 innings since early July. He’s allowed just four homers in eight starts during that span while holding opponents to a sub-.200 batting average.
Haren’s season totals may not end up looking particularly impressive because of the rough start, but if he can keep pitching like this for the final six weeks he’ll be in line for a nice payday as a 33-year-old free agent. And that possibility was no doubt a big part of why he signed a one-year deal.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)