Derek Jeter to begin rehab assignment Thursday

Aug 21, 2013, 6:29 PM EDT

derek jeter getty Getty Images

Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter has been cleared to open a minor league rehab assignment Thursday night with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

Jeter will be limited to five innings in his first game, but he should be able to play all nine innings by this weekend with an eye on returning to the Yankees’ active 25-man roster sometime early next week.

Jeter has appeared in only five games this season for the Yankees due to ankle and then right calf issues.

He is 4-for-19 (.211) with one homer, two walks and two RBI in those five games.

1. dcfan4life - Aug 21, 2013 at 6:42 PM

“The 39-year-old is making $17 million this year and carries an $8 million player option for 2014.”

Considering his age, his ability, and his injury status, and the state in which the Yankees are currently in, is it possible the Yankees may NOT pick up this option? Just a thought.

• Drew Silva - Aug 21, 2013 at 6:47 PM

It’s a player option. No doubt Jeter will exercise it.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 21, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I agree Drew…

Yet there are articles out there saying he should decline this option because the Yanks are hurting at the position without him and that the teams struggles and lack of production at the shortstop position without him manning it shows that he has leverage.

I don’t agree with this premise at all…

With his age and injuries, he SHOULD jump at this option…

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 21, 2013 at 7:39 PM

there’s a $3M buyout as well. Other prospects aren’t that enticing with Eduardo Scissorhands currently manning SS, unfortunately.

2. bigharold - Aug 21, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Jeter will exercise the option just as Rivera wouldn’t quit after last year. Jeter will need to be convinced that he’s done and until he convinces himself expect him to be back.

Jeter will not hang on. If he can’t produce I’m certain he’ll walk away. But, considering the injuries this season, .. he won’t and shouldn’t be convinced he’s done.

• cackalackyank - Aug 21, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Of course first he has to be convinced that he can actually stay healthy for more than 3-4 games at a time…then he can be convinced he is not done. If he can’t produce I do not expect him to hang around, either. I still believe he is a stand up guy, but I think he knows there is very little left he can prove, and stand up gy or not he is not going to run his image into the ground just because there is no heir apparent to replace him.

• bigharold - Aug 21, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Yeah, but I, .. and I think Jeter, .. will consider this year a waste, or throw away. I think he’ll certainly exercise his option and see what next year brings.

If he has continuing injury issues, .. I’ve no doubt he’ll call it a career. If he does poorly, .. without injuries, .. I think he’ll call it a career. However, what happens if he’s not hurt and puts up close to representative offensive numbers? It could get ugly.

While it is debatable as to what might or might not be performance that justifies Jeter’s continuing in baseball after 2014. I think Jeter will be as cold and calculating as anyone. And, I seriously doubt he’ll stick around and embarrass himself.

• cackalackyank - Aug 21, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Of course first he has to be convinced that he can actually stay healthy for more than 3-4 games at a time…then he can be convinced he is not done. If he can’t produce I do not expect him to hang around, either. I still believe he is a stand up guy, but I think he knows there is very little left he can prove, and stand up guy or not he is not going to run his image into the ground just because there is no heir apparent to replace him.

3. bigharold - Aug 21, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Congrats!!

You are officially “Asshole of the Day” on HBT.

4. thebigtim2012 - Aug 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM

As the only Yankee I respect as a player I think he realizes his ride is over. Hopefully he declines the option maybe takes a year off delivers lots of gift baskets and then starts his coaching career. I can’t see him fully staying away from the game and as much as it pains me to say he is good for the sport.

• dcarroll73 - Aug 22, 2013 at 12:31 AM

While I am pleased that you give Jeter the respect he deserves, your post begs the question, were you not watching the last season he played? He had had some decline in the couple of years before, and the doom-sayers (you know who you are) were calling this the “End of the Road”. In his usual quiet style, he rebutted that on the field, and last year he was awesome. He obviously was playing through an injury at the end when it caught up with him in catastrophic fashion. I realize that coming back from an injury is harder with years on the odometer (I’m sixty-two, and a skiing accident and bicycle accident in my fifties are still dogging me.) I still think that this man has earned the benefit of the doubt before we write him off. If he can really recover, he can still play. He never had the range we all love at SS, but if he got to it, take it to the bank. Offensively he was on the money. I know he will make the right decisions. I have been a Yanks fan long enough to watch The Mick pull his career average down because he was about the only player besides Roy White who could hit at all for those Yankees. Despite the Doom-sayers, I don’t see that in the cards for Jeter and these Yankees.

5. historiophiliac - Aug 21, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Doom

6. dcarroll73 - Aug 22, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Craig, what does it take to get this guy blocked or banned? What is this (if I can coin a neologism) the dozenth time he has posted some over-the-top offensive garbage? This one takes the cake (or pie depending on your religion.)

7. jacquelinellhill - Aug 22, 2013 at 6:17 AM

Only seriously intrested people will be warmly welcomed,Thanks,,
    you have to work and use the computer and internet, and if you can do that and dedicate some time each day then you can do this with no problem.
    I have been working with this for a month and have made over $2,000 already. let me know if you need .. go on home site tab for detai…. http://xurl.es/3zrrh

8. bobc74 - Aug 22, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Thanks Yankee’s. As if traffic isn’t already going to be a mess with both Obama and Biden in town on Friday. Now we’ll have the added bonus of the Jeter spectacle, once again roaming around town.

9. sayheysayhey - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:59 AM

i wrote something on jeters impact to the team…Check it out here.http://enjoythestadium.blogspot.com/2013/08/jeters-impact-to-yankees-moral.html

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3981)