Aug 21, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
The New York Post reports that Hal Steinbrenner called his baseball operations people to his Tampa office and demanded some answers yesterday:
With questions about the lack of talent in the minor league system ready to help at the big league level, Steinbrenner gathered his department heads.
General manager Brian Cashman attended and the group more than likely included Tampa based minor league head Mark Newman, Damon Oppenheimer, who is in charge of the amateur draft, and Donny Rowland, the director of international scouting.
I love how, when the Yankees front office is described, there is some sense of it being a strict and formal corporate structure with department heads and official titles. I know these roles exist with other teams, but something about how it is discussed makes it sound like some giant conglomerate.
Anyway, Hal has a right to be upset. There haven’t been many major leaguers produced out of recent drafts. A lot of relievers. Brett Gardner. Austin Jackson. Cano was an international signing the likes of which can’t happen in the same way anymore due to caps on bonuses.
It’s hard to build a system when you spend close to 20 years drafting at the end of rounds, but the Yankees need to do better.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)