Aug 21, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
The New York Post reports that Hal Steinbrenner called his baseball operations people to his Tampa office and demanded some answers yesterday:
With questions about the lack of talent in the minor league system ready to help at the big league level, Steinbrenner gathered his department heads.
General manager Brian Cashman attended and the group more than likely included Tampa based minor league head Mark Newman, Damon Oppenheimer, who is in charge of the amateur draft, and Donny Rowland, the director of international scouting.
I love how, when the Yankees front office is described, there is some sense of it being a strict and formal corporate structure with department heads and official titles. I know these roles exist with other teams, but something about how it is discussed makes it sound like some giant conglomerate.
Anyway, Hal has a right to be upset. There haven’t been many major leaguers produced out of recent drafts. A lot of relievers. Brett Gardner. Austin Jackson. Cano was an international signing the likes of which can’t happen in the same way anymore due to caps on bonuses.
It’s hard to build a system when you spend close to 20 years drafting at the end of rounds, but the Yankees need to do better.
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 4
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 9
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 63
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 27
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 55
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 161
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)