Aug 21, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
The New York Post reports that Hal Steinbrenner called his baseball operations people to his Tampa office and demanded some answers yesterday:
With questions about the lack of talent in the minor league system ready to help at the big league level, Steinbrenner gathered his department heads.
General manager Brian Cashman attended and the group more than likely included Tampa based minor league head Mark Newman, Damon Oppenheimer, who is in charge of the amateur draft, and Donny Rowland, the director of international scouting.
I love how, when the Yankees front office is described, there is some sense of it being a strict and formal corporate structure with department heads and official titles. I know these roles exist with other teams, but something about how it is discussed makes it sound like some giant conglomerate.
Anyway, Hal has a right to be upset. There haven’t been many major leaguers produced out of recent drafts. A lot of relievers. Brett Gardner. Austin Jackson. Cano was an international signing the likes of which can’t happen in the same way anymore due to caps on bonuses.
It’s hard to build a system when you spend close to 20 years drafting at the end of rounds, but the Yankees need to do better.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)