Aug 21, 2013, 2:05 PM EST
The New York Post reports that Hal Steinbrenner called his baseball operations people to his Tampa office and demanded some answers yesterday:
With questions about the lack of talent in the minor league system ready to help at the big league level, Steinbrenner gathered his department heads.
General manager Brian Cashman attended and the group more than likely included Tampa based minor league head Mark Newman, Damon Oppenheimer, who is in charge of the amateur draft, and Donny Rowland, the director of international scouting.
I love how, when the Yankees front office is described, there is some sense of it being a strict and formal corporate structure with department heads and official titles. I know these roles exist with other teams, but something about how it is discussed makes it sound like some giant conglomerate.
Anyway, Hal has a right to be upset. There haven’t been many major leaguers produced out of recent drafts. A lot of relievers. Brett Gardner. Austin Jackson. Cano was an international signing the likes of which can’t happen in the same way anymore due to caps on bonuses.
It’s hard to build a system when you spend close to 20 years drafting at the end of rounds, but the Yankees need to do better.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 16
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 18
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)