Aug 21, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
Braves outfielder Jason Heyward has left today’s Braves-Mets game in the top of the sixth after being hit in the head with a Jon Niese fastball. Heyward stayed on the ground for a good while after being hit and then left the game. He appeared groggy, but there were no apparent external injuries, lacerations or the like. Obviously a concussion is a major concern.
There was no purpose behind Jon Neise’s pitch. Neither the game situation nor any past history suggests an intent. It appeared to be a fastball that simply got away from him. Niese himself appeared to be off his game for the next couple of batters, allowing a couple of hits including an RBI. He then bore down and struck out Chris Johnson.
We’ll have an updates on Heyward’s status when we get one.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 38
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)