Aug 21, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
Braves outfielder Jason Heyward has left today’s Braves-Mets game in the top of the sixth after being hit in the head with a Jon Niese fastball. Heyward stayed on the ground for a good while after being hit and then left the game. He appeared groggy, but there were no apparent external injuries, lacerations or the like. Obviously a concussion is a major concern.
There was no purpose behind Jon Neise’s pitch. Neither the game situation nor any past history suggests an intent. It appeared to be a fastball that simply got away from him. Niese himself appeared to be off his game for the next couple of batters, allowing a couple of hits including an RBI. He then bore down and struck out Chris Johnson.
We’ll have an updates on Heyward’s status when we get one.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 13
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 43
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17