Aug 21, 2013, 8:11 AM EDT
Walkoff walks are pretty rare. Walkoff walks on a ball four that are this close are rarer still:
If you look at the pitch plot of it, the ball was right on the corner. Like, RIGHT on the line:
Obviously, those calls can go either way and often do. But how often do you see an ump that unforgiving to the pitcher in a 3-0 count with the ballgame on the line, be it in a walkoff walk situation or just a high-leverage, runners-on-base situation? Not saying it was the wrong call or egregiously bad or whatever. I just can’t remember seeing that.
Meanwhile, the Red Sox are seeming sluggish, losers of six of ten and now find themselves tied for first with Tampa Bay, albeit two back in the loss column.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 2
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 122
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (132)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)