Roy Halladay clarifies his comments about Charlie Manuel

Aug 21, 2013, 5:44 PM EDT

halladay getty Getty Images

This morning Roy Halladay‘s comments about Charlie Manuel’s firing were reported and the upshot based on the articles written was that Halladay was cool with Manuel getting fired because he felt the team needed more discipline and structure.

Today Halladay clarified those comments, making it clear that he did not blame Manuel for the Phillies’ downturn — that’s on the players, he says — and that Manuel was a wonderful manager with whom he has a great relationship. Indeed, he said he spoke to Manuel today to make it clear to him that his comments were not meant to imply any endorsement of his firing.

No word on whether Halladay agrees with the rest of the world who sees the firing as mostly Ruben Amaro’s fault.

1. El Bravo - Aug 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM

These stories make it really hard not to rag on Phillies’ nation, but I’m trying people! Instead, I’ll throw another GO BRAVES! into the mix to satisfy these urges for the time being.

• greymares - Aug 21, 2013 at 6:06 PM

go ahead and rag, take your shots you’ve had 1 championship in how many years. because you can bet when the Braves go out in the first playoff round again,I’ll be bustin balls. lol.

• Jeremy T - Aug 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM

To be fair, if you’re going to give him ’95, then they have the same number championships in those years as the Phillies

2. joeyb3878 - Aug 21, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Damn! I almost forgot that Braves dynasty only won one World Series. You would think the law of averages should have got them at least two rings after all those division titles.

3. s0krat3s - Aug 21, 2013 at 7:07 PM

When laziness, lack of effort, and absence of leadership are plaguing the team over the course of several years the players are not the only ones to blame. The manager allowed these attitudes for years.

• dcowboyfan - Aug 21, 2013 at 7:34 PM

@ greymares…Such the typical Philly response to your mediocre teams…..must be a built in response every season ….Doc is just an arrogant jerk as is your GM !!!! How bout those Birds lol

• deafrecon - Aug 21, 2013 at 7:47 PM

you’re a cowboys fan. there, i feel like that was a really good, scathing insult; i’m comfortable with ending it there.

• ryanrockzzz - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I second deafrecon……Romo….that is all.

4. ditto65 - Aug 21, 2013 at 8:15 PM

So it’s not Cholly’s fault, but a lack of discipline & structure is the fault of the players.

Funny, I thought discipline & structure were in the manager’s area of influence.

5. The Boxer Rebellion - Aug 21, 2013 at 9:17 PM

This train wreck is hard to watch. Papelbon, Halladay, Manuel. You’d think fans in Philly would catch a break after the Eagles season. Time to rebuild, guys. You have a core of great talent. Keep a few vets (like Utley), trim payroll and get younger. If not, you guys will be in the NL East toilet bowl for some time. yes, I’m a Braves fan. And yes, I’m scared each time they make it to the postseason. But at least I’m still cheering in the Fall.

• greymares - Aug 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM

your the one. who knew ?

• The Boxer Rebellion - Aug 21, 2013 at 10:31 PM

funny

6. gallaghedj311 - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Everyone wants to blame RAJ and give Cholly a pass bc he’s “So likable”.

But as a manager myself, when I see my team “underperforming”, its MY FREAKING JOB to ensure the underperforming comes to a screeching halt. Love Cholly to be my pop pop, but certainly not to manage my baseball team with $100 + million payroll.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet