Aug 21, 2013, 2:20 PM EST
Because the Red Sox have off days tomorrow and Monday the suspension didn’t really force them to juggle the rotation a whole lot. Without the suspension Dempster would have been in line to start Saturday against the Dodgers, but they can simply move up Jon Lester to take his place while also moving up Jake Peavy.
And because Dempster has a 4.77 ERA, including 27 runs allowed in 35 innings since the All-Star break, skipping him for one turn in the rotation isn’t such a bad thing for the Red Sox anyway.
As for Dempster, he basically gets a week of paid vacation and then will return to the mound on August 30 against a weak-hitting White Sox lineup at Fenway Park, where the Boston crowd will no doubt give him a big ovation. Helluva punishment.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 72
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (155)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (146)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)