Aug 21, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
The Braves announced that they have claimed infielder Elliot Johnson off release waivers from the Royals.
Dan Uggla goes out for eye surgery, Tyler Pastornicky goes down with a torn ACL. Heck, a few minutes ago Paul Janish tried to lay down a squeeze bunt with two strikes on him and helped kill a rally, so as far as I’m concerned every Braves infielder not named Simmons nor Freeman can take a hike. So this doesn’t bother me nearly as much as it might otherwise.
Not that it helps them beyond supplying a warm body. He hit a mere .179/.218/.241 over 79 games this season and really doesn’t have much defensive value either. Rosters expand in ten days or so, so it’s not like keeping him on the roster will cause too many problems.
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 216
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 44
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (216)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)