Aug 21, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
The Braves announced that they have claimed infielder Elliot Johnson off release waivers from the Royals.
Dan Uggla goes out for eye surgery, Tyler Pastornicky goes down with a torn ACL. Heck, a few minutes ago Paul Janish tried to lay down a squeeze bunt with two strikes on him and helped kill a rally, so as far as I’m concerned every Braves infielder not named Simmons nor Freeman can take a hike. So this doesn’t bother me nearly as much as it might otherwise.
Not that it helps them beyond supplying a warm body. He hit a mere .179/.218/.241 over 79 games this season and really doesn’t have much defensive value either. Rosters expand in ten days or so, so it’s not like keeping him on the roster will cause too many problems.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)