Aug 22, 2013, 5:54 PM EDT
According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution, Beachy underwent an MRI on Wednesday, the results of which the Braves haven’t revealed.
Beachy was lit up in his first outing back for the Braves, but he had turned in four straight quality starts since and was 2-1 with a 4.50 ERA overall. Fortunately, the Braves are getting Paul Maholm back, so they still have five starters with Beachy absent. They were believed to be weighing sending Kris Medlen to the pen to make room for Maholm.
Beachy underwent Tommy John surgery on June 21, 2012. He started working in extended spring training games in mid-May and made his first minor league rehab start on May 24 this year before suffering a minor setback in June that got him shut down for a couple of weeks. That pushed back his timetable about a month before he was officially activated on July 29.
The standard recovery period for Tommy John surgery is 12-18 months, but these days, everyone seems to be aiming for 12, if not a little less. Diamondbacks right-hander Daniel Hudson underwent surgery on July 9, 2012, resumed pitching in the minors in mid-May of this year and then blew out his elbow again on June 5. He was trying to make it back in about 11 months. Beachy and the Braves were aiming for 12 months before his first setback. Perhaps pitchers and teams are getting too aggressive, especially given what’s at stake if there’s a setback.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)