Aug 22, 2013, 5:54 PM EDT
According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution, Beachy underwent an MRI on Wednesday, the results of which the Braves haven’t revealed.
Beachy was lit up in his first outing back for the Braves, but he had turned in four straight quality starts since and was 2-1 with a 4.50 ERA overall. Fortunately, the Braves are getting Paul Maholm back, so they still have five starters with Beachy absent. They were believed to be weighing sending Kris Medlen to the pen to make room for Maholm.
Beachy underwent Tommy John surgery on June 21, 2012. He started working in extended spring training games in mid-May and made his first minor league rehab start on May 24 this year before suffering a minor setback in June that got him shut down for a couple of weeks. That pushed back his timetable about a month before he was officially activated on July 29.
The standard recovery period for Tommy John surgery is 12-18 months, but these days, everyone seems to be aiming for 12, if not a little less. Diamondbacks right-hander Daniel Hudson underwent surgery on July 9, 2012, resumed pitching in the minors in mid-May of this year and then blew out his elbow again on June 5. He was trying to make it back in about 11 months. Beachy and the Braves were aiming for 12 months before his first setback. Perhaps pitchers and teams are getting too aggressive, especially given what’s at stake if there’s a setback.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)