Cardinals minor leaguer suspended

Aug 22, 2013, 5:03 PM EST

Rachel Leigh Cook

From the blotter:

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that St. Louis Cardinals Minor League outfielder Yoenny Gonzalez has received a 50-game suspension without pay for his violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. The suspension of Gonzalez, who is currently on the roster of the rookie-level Johnson City (TN) Cardinals, is effective immediately.

Good thing he’s not still playing pending appeal or else Ryan Dempster would be on the train to Johnson City, ready to dole out some frontier justice.

1. El Bravo - Aug 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM

ZING! Well played.

• historiophiliac - Aug 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM

He’d have to hit him first.

2. paperlions - Aug 22, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Was he taking PIDs (Performance Inhibiting Drugs)? A 21 yr old OFer hitting .192/.220/.269 is pretty horrible.

• jtorrey13 - Aug 22, 2013 at 5:23 PM

You must be reading it wrong. All players taking PEDs have awesome stats.

• paperlions - Aug 22, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Thus my confusion.

• paperlions - Aug 22, 2013 at 5:29 PM

…and because of the vagueness of the statement, he could have been busted for weed, which may explain his gentle attitude toward striking a baseball.

• El Bravo - Aug 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I’d hit the ball, man, but the vibration in my hands kills the buzz brah….just tryin’ to stay mellow, man.

• historiophiliac - Aug 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM

he he

• paperlions - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Hahaaaaa….that is some funny shit.

• historiophiliac - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I think you should freak some people out at work with the braid. lol You’re secure and you could rock that. Might be good for holidays with the family.

• paperlions - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I’d rather get a whole head full of little braids….more of a “Predator” (the alien) look.

• paperlions - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:35 PM

A LONG time ago a GF used to use me so she could practice different kinds of braids and braiding (french braids, etc.)….I’d just sit on the floor and watch TV or read while she practiced…good times.

• historiophiliac - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I know you liked it. he he It could be fun.

• paperlions - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Of course, I used to get my hair cut at a salon just to enjoy the chick washing my hair.

• historiophiliac - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Everyone loves getting their hair washed. Sometimes, if I’m having a bad day, I’ll stop somewhere and have them wash & style my hair. I vastly prefer that to a manicure or something…except they always want to straighten it. Curly hair is bad, you know.

• paperlions - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Huh, I didn’t know that….one reason I always wanted to be black or Semitic was because of the ‘fro potential….and, of course, it would be nice to be more athletic or good at business (hehe).

• historiophiliac - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Well, you could go with the Peaches look from the Reunited video I posted earlier…

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 23, 2013 at 11:49 AM

That’s disturbing Philiac. Real disturbing.

3. proudlycanadian - Aug 22, 2013 at 6:17 PM

A Cardinal sinner, but not a cardinal sin.

4. oltanya - Aug 22, 2013 at 6:23 PM

As a resident of Johnson City, a. you can’t walk more than five feet without running into someone on some type of drug here, they run meth labs out of college apartments and government housing, and b. no one here seems to even realize we have a minor league baseball team.

• jwbiii - Aug 22, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Do they still make stirrup socks there? Growing up, that was about the only thing I knew about Johnson City. Napa = wine, Johnson City = stirrup socks.

5. cohnjusack - Aug 22, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Minor leaguers are really the only ones I feel remotely bad for when they get busted for steroids. The guy is obviously on the fringe (hitting .192) and desperate. Don’t get me wrong, they still should…but damn. First year minor leaguers make $1,100 a month maximum (http://www.milb.com/milb/info/faq.jsp?mc=business). Repeat, $1,100 a month, or roughly the equivalent of a regular time at minimum wage.

It’s his own stupid fault, but I still feel a little sorry for the idiot.

6. jwbiii - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:06 PM

he’s in his second year in rookie ball, so he’s zoomed all the way up to $1,275/month. For 2.5 months.

7. mrpinkca - Aug 23, 2013 at 1:42 AM

What is this picture? It gets used every time a minor leaguer gets suspended but I have know idea what it is in reference to.

• jwbiii - Aug 23, 2013 at 8:45 AM

The best 30 seconds of Rachel Leigh Cook’s career.

• coloradogolfcoupons - Aug 23, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I’ll chip in some of the 10 mil just to not ever have to see that video again

• bravojawja - Aug 23, 2013 at 9:38 AM

That picture is the best thing about players getting busted for PEDs.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester