Aug 22, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
For years Barry Zito‘s big contract has been the primary reason for his remaining in San Francisco’s rotation, but with just six weeks to go until he can be cut loose the Giants sound ready to end the relationship early.
Zito lasted just 3.2 innings against the Red Sox yesterday and afterward manager Bruce Bochy hinted at changes in the rotation, telling Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com: “I don’t want to go into the choices, but I’ll talk to the staff before we talk about that.”
Baggarly notes that the Giants “do not lightly discard players who have set a good example and gone about their business the right way.” In other words, Zito might be hurting the team and might have zero chance of playing for the Giants beyond this season, but he’s been a nice guy on good teams. He’s also been paid $120 million and will get a $7 million buyout of his 2014 option.
Zito’s next scheduled start is Monday at Coors Field, which would seem almost cruel at this point. He has a 5.63 ERA in 120 innings overall and is 0-8 with a 9.50 ERA on the road, including 0-2 with a 7.36 ERA in two starts at Coors Field.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)