Aug 22, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Opening Day second baseman Danny Espinosa has become a forgotten man since the Nationals demoted him to Triple-A in mid-June and it sounds like he won’t be returning to the majors this season.
Rosters expanding on September 1 would make it easy for the Nationals to call Espinosa back up, but manager Davey Johnson indicated to James Wagner of the Washington Post that the team’s September call-ups will be young players.
Espinosa is 26 years old, with four seasons of experience in the majors, although if he were performing decently at Triple-A it would probably be a different story. Instead he’s hit just .202 with two homers and a .544 OPS in 64 games for Syracuse after hitting .158 in 44 games for the Nationals and his horrendous 88/17 K/BB ratio shows what a mess Espinosa has become.
Given that Anthony Rendon now seems entrenched as the Nationals’ starting second baseman trading Espinosa this offseason would make all kinds of sense, although at this point who knows if he even has any value.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)