Aug 22, 2013, 10:01 AM EST
I thought Bill Plaschke was bad yesterday but CBS’s Scott Miller has outdone him in the “Yasiel Puig is an out-of-control monster who must be put in his place” rhetoric today. And really, he calls him a monster:
Puig clearly has the talent to lead the Dodgers to an October title. And he clearly contains the recklessness to push the team bus straight over a cliff. Self-made man meets self-destruction, head on … with each home run and highlight-reel moment, the monster grows. Biggest question this season now is this: Can the Dodgers eke a Kirk Gibson moment out of Puig this October before they get a Frankenstein moment? … this late-night carousing, cutoff-man missing, curfew busting phenom borders on going berserk-o out of control.
I can’t recall another 22 year-old player who has had a couple of fundamental lapses and one argument with an umpire — that was clearly instigated by the umpire — being described like this.
No one at CBS thinks this is over the top? Even a little? We’re actually going with “Puig is Frankenstein’s Monster” who is “beserk-o out of control”?
One wonders how much of this is based on the fact that Puig, due to the language barrier, can’t give “aw-shucks” interviews which charm writers.
UPDATE: For a great, non-hysterical take on Yasiel Puig, go check out Tim Brown’s column. Night and day difference. Amazing what happens when one thinks and reflects a bit.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 76
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)