Aug 22, 2013, 10:01 AM EDT
I thought Bill Plaschke was bad yesterday but CBS’s Scott Miller has outdone him in the “Yasiel Puig is an out-of-control monster who must be put in his place” rhetoric today. And really, he calls him a monster:
Puig clearly has the talent to lead the Dodgers to an October title. And he clearly contains the recklessness to push the team bus straight over a cliff. Self-made man meets self-destruction, head on … with each home run and highlight-reel moment, the monster grows. Biggest question this season now is this: Can the Dodgers eke a Kirk Gibson moment out of Puig this October before they get a Frankenstein moment? … this late-night carousing, cutoff-man missing, curfew busting phenom borders on going berserk-o out of control.
I can’t recall another 22 year-old player who has had a couple of fundamental lapses and one argument with an umpire — that was clearly instigated by the umpire — being described like this.
No one at CBS thinks this is over the top? Even a little? We’re actually going with “Puig is Frankenstein’s Monster” who is “beserk-o out of control”?
One wonders how much of this is based on the fact that Puig, due to the language barrier, can’t give “aw-shucks” interviews which charm writers.
UPDATE: For a great, non-hysterical take on Yasiel Puig, go check out Tim Brown’s column. Night and day difference. Amazing what happens when one thinks and reflects a bit.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)