Aug 22, 2013, 10:01 AM EDT
I thought Bill Plaschke was bad yesterday but CBS’s Scott Miller has outdone him in the “Yasiel Puig is an out-of-control monster who must be put in his place” rhetoric today. And really, he calls him a monster:
Puig clearly has the talent to lead the Dodgers to an October title. And he clearly contains the recklessness to push the team bus straight over a cliff. Self-made man meets self-destruction, head on … with each home run and highlight-reel moment, the monster grows. Biggest question this season now is this: Can the Dodgers eke a Kirk Gibson moment out of Puig this October before they get a Frankenstein moment? … this late-night carousing, cutoff-man missing, curfew busting phenom borders on going berserk-o out of control.
I can’t recall another 22 year-old player who has had a couple of fundamental lapses and one argument with an umpire — that was clearly instigated by the umpire — being described like this.
No one at CBS thinks this is over the top? Even a little? We’re actually going with “Puig is Frankenstein’s Monster” who is “beserk-o out of control”?
One wonders how much of this is based on the fact that Puig, due to the language barrier, can’t give “aw-shucks” interviews which charm writers.
UPDATE: For a great, non-hysterical take on Yasiel Puig, go check out Tim Brown’s column. Night and day difference. Amazing what happens when one thinks and reflects a bit.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 340
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 79
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 52
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (340)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)