Aug 22, 2013, 10:01 AM EDT
I thought Bill Plaschke was bad yesterday but CBS’s Scott Miller has outdone him in the “Yasiel Puig is an out-of-control monster who must be put in his place” rhetoric today. And really, he calls him a monster:
Puig clearly has the talent to lead the Dodgers to an October title. And he clearly contains the recklessness to push the team bus straight over a cliff. Self-made man meets self-destruction, head on … with each home run and highlight-reel moment, the monster grows. Biggest question this season now is this: Can the Dodgers eke a Kirk Gibson moment out of Puig this October before they get a Frankenstein moment? … this late-night carousing, cutoff-man missing, curfew busting phenom borders on going berserk-o out of control.
I can’t recall another 22 year-old player who has had a couple of fundamental lapses and one argument with an umpire — that was clearly instigated by the umpire — being described like this.
No one at CBS thinks this is over the top? Even a little? We’re actually going with “Puig is Frankenstein’s Monster” who is “beserk-o out of control”?
One wonders how much of this is based on the fact that Puig, due to the language barrier, can’t give “aw-shucks” interviews which charm writers.
UPDATE: For a great, non-hysterical take on Yasiel Puig, go check out Tim Brown’s column. Night and day difference. Amazing what happens when one thinks and reflects a bit.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 37
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 40
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)