Today’s Yasiel Puig hilarity: he’s apparently a “poor man’s Jeff Francoeur”

Aug 22, 2013, 8:25 AM EDT

Buzzfeed has waded knee-deep into derp:

source:

See, the thing about this is that while “hype in social media age” can, indeed, be tricky, baseball players are not properly assessed by their “hype in the social media age.” “Sharknado” got a lot of hype in the social media age too. No one has mistaken it for a good movie.

Likewise, no one who knows anything about baseball thinks that Yasiel Puig is anything akin to “a poor man’s Jeff Francoeur.” While raw and while, on occasion, known to chase bad pitches, that’s pretty much where the comparisons stop. No one chases bad pitches like Francoeur. Puig’s power is immense and natural and his home run stroke is not dependent upon guessing so often like Francoeur’s is.  He has shown some patience as well. At the moment he has 23 walks in 296 plate appearances in his age 22 season. Francoeur walked 23 times in his age-22 season. In 686 plate appearances.

But such comparisons seem silly because it’s simply undeniable that Puig is the better player than Francoeur ever was at any time in his minor or major league career and has the potential to be much, much better. We cheapen him with a comparison based on the most superficial first impression of each and the “hype in the social media age” stuff. Even at the time of his 2005 breakout most observers knew that Francoeur was playing way above his head. Most observers now likewise believe that — though his current stat line is a bit inflated by a fast start — Puig is not doing anything that is truly unexpected.

So, yes, it’s an unfair comp. It’s like clicking on the Buzzfeed article in question, seeing lots of pictures and large text and thinking that it’s a publication aimed at preschoolers.

And that’s not the case at all, is it?

1. heyblueyoustink - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:31 AM

“LEAVE SHARKNADO ALONE!”

2. mantastic54 - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I think rich man’s Jeff Francouer is the expression they were looking for

• zzalapski - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:14 AM

A rich man wouldn’t have anything to do that reminds him of Francouer.

3. pooinyourface - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:35 AM

the most pointless article ever written

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:40 AM

And yet you read and felt compelled to comment on it.

If the point ultimately comes down to website clicks and comment rates, well, you’re now part of the matrix.

• dangle13x - Aug 22, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I opened the article to verify my suspicion. See I have this theory that every article with an asinine title is written by CC. I’m right 97% of the time. I felt compelled to comment because CC is a fucking douche, and you little blog writer fan boys are an embarrassment. Have fun message boarding about baseball all day you fucking losers.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM

He may have been referring to the Buzzfeed article in question. In which case, I agree.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 22, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Are you aware, dangle/poo that you responded under a different screen name.

Get it together, SPED.

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I think that’s spelled Loosers.

But I like how we’re all fanboys of Craig because you’re thought of as a pathetic, insipid clown.

If only I was an original, free-thinker like danglepoo, then maybe te world would revolve around me for a change.

• cur68 - Aug 22, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Two screen names? JUST to troll CC? Wowie. That’s pretty obsessive, dude. I would know. I mean, I do that. I have two screen names. But then I’m trolling my girlfriend and she knows its me. Are we to assume that you’re trolling CC with all these screen names due to infatuation with him? How very Elementary School of you. You insult him for his attention. Why don’t you be an adult and just email him privately and discuss your feelings in an open and forthright manner? He seems like a decent enough fella. I doubt he’s crush your no-doubt fragile ego. Good luck.

PS: you might not want to keep the “pooinyourface” handle, eh? Its pretty weird and damn disgusting. I suspect he’d be quite repulsed by it.

• stex52 - Aug 22, 2013 at 1:10 PM

C’mon Cur, we all know you have multiple screen names. But it’s cool. It all comes down to what you use them for. Yours is healthy.

• Reflex - Aug 22, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Cur’s use of multiple screen names was pointed out to me recently. I’m still not sure what to think of it or what the reasoning is.

• cur68 - Aug 22, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Including this one, I have two. Every one who needs to know, knows who the other one is. Other than that, I’m not sure whom else I’m supposed to be. Now, if I COULD be another poster, I’d like to be “MayPower”. Why? ‘Cause that’s a cooool ass handle, that’s why. Where is ‘Ole MaxPower, anyhow? I miss that guy.

• Reflex - Aug 22, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Yeah, I know who the other one is. I just don’t understand the ‘why’ of it. Also, the person who pointed it out to me figured it out on their own, which says that its not very difficult to figure out(and once they pointed it out to me it was painfully obvious as well, I just wasn’t looking for it).

• cur68 - Aug 22, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Oh I use that one to troll a certain other poster. I kind of like her and she HATES Luke Scott. Very elementary school of me, I know.

• Reflex - Aug 22, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I did figure out the lady involved and the relationship as well, or at least it was pointed out to me(again, pretty obvious when you think to look for it), so I guess that makes sense.

4. jerryball22 - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:38 AM

hahahhaa atta boy kiebus

5. moagecu - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:39 AM

well its not even 8 and you reached your daily limit on Puig articles.

• richarddansky - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Yeah, all he writes about is Puig! I mean, all he writes about is PEDs! I mean, all he writes about is A-Rod! I mean, all he writes about is the Braves!

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:01 AM

And I’m so sick of all this East Coast bias. Wahhhhh. I love how all these thumbsuckers wade in and complain that there are too many articles about _____. Like there’s no such thing as headlines.

If you’re that concerned about the article content on a baseball blog and you don’t work for the blog, you need a new hobby or a dog to kick or something.

6. clarenceoveur - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I can see the similarity, they both have played major league baseball in the last decade

• alexo0 - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Both have played in the major leagues. I’m not sure I’d say both have played major league baseball.

7. koufaxmitzvah - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:48 AM

The same writer who fawns over Johnny Manziel considers Yasiel Puig an overblown, media-driven sensation. I think that says all there is to know about this writer and Buzzfeed.

8. dasportsninja - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Age G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS

21 70 274 257 41 77 20 1 14 45 3 2 11 58 .300 .336 .549 .884

22 69 296 266 49 92 16 2 12 28 7 6 23 68 .346 .405 .556 .962

Francoeur is line 1-Puig is line 2….

• dutchbrowncoat - Aug 22, 2013 at 10:05 AM

thank you!

>No one chases bad pitches like Francoeur.

…except puig. actually craig, if you look past your opinion to the numbers you would see that puig’s rate of swinging at pitches outside of the strike zone is actually a touch higher than francouer’s career average.

>He has shown some patience as well. At the moment he has 23 walks in 296 plate appearances in his age 22 season. Francoeur walked 23 times in his age-22 season.

6 of these are intentional walks. without those he has a 5.7% walk rate, which is slightly better than francouer but still well below league average. and given his peripherals, it is not likely to improve.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM

If you are going to remove Puig’s IBB, you have to remove Francouer’s:

Puig – 17/296 = 5.7%
        Francouer – 8/274 = 2.9%

For their minor career we have:

Puig = 9.2%
        Francouer = 9.0%, 4.4%, 4.3%, 4.4% (order from App League in ’02 thru AA in ’05)

He’s almost double what Francouer was doing.

• dutchbrowncoat - Aug 22, 2013 at 10:54 AM

i already covered that:

>which is slightly better than francouer but still well below league average. and given his peripherals, it is not likely to improve.

i said it was better than francouer’s, so what’s the issue? either way it is still well below average. and given that he chases at least as many balls outside of the zone it is likely his walk rate will approach francouer’s unless he actually changes his approach.

• yahmule - Aug 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Given your prejudices, not likely to improve, you mean.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 22, 2013 at 12:06 PM

i said it was better than francouer’s, so what’s the issue?

Double his rate isn’t slightly better. I also like how you are taking 300 PA and saying he won’t improve at all.

• dutchbrowncoat - Aug 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM

>Double his rate isn’t slightly better.

doubling sounds nice but means little to nothing when francouer’s is so low. the difference between francouer and puig is about equal to the difference between puig and the rest of the league. if it is that big a deal, take out the word ‘slightly’ from my original comment. the rest of it remains perfectly accurate.

>Given your prejudices, not likely to improve, you mean.

if by my prejudices you mean his BB rate, K rate, and O-swing% then yes you are right.

• erbaodai - Aug 22, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Puig has immensly improved his plate discipline this month, and the Francoeur comp seems more silly than scary.

9. chacochicken - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:04 AM

How can we be sure he isn’t a commie sleeper agent? Francoeur is an unlikely sounding name.

• kevinbnyc - Aug 22, 2013 at 1:25 PM

There are a lot of communists in France…

10. unclemosesgreen - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I like this comp for one reason – it breaks the ‘racial comparison’ barrier.

Buzzfeed is like a homeless person’s Huffington Post.

• chacochicken - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Wait, I thought we were making comparisons on Nation of Origin, right? I had nearly given up trying to find another French Canadian to compare to Andre Ethier.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 22, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Erik Bedard?

• chacochicken - Aug 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM

You never, ever compare, hitters to pitchers. Crazy.

11. aceshigh11 - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Dis some buuullshiiiit, right here.

12. myopinionisrighterthanyours - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Actually, an astute commenter on Plaschke’s article yesterday made a Jeff Fancoeur reference. Something about suspending Puig until he becomes the man Francouer is. Maybe he/she foresaw this article.

13. yahmule - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:37 AM

This imbecilic Frenchy comparison was run into the ground in the first few weeks. I considered it a sort of baseball intelligence litmus test. If anyone brought up Francouer’s name when discussing Puig, I mentally deducted 50 IQ points from whatever I had previously established as their rough baseline score.

14. yahmule - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Puig’s critics seemed dead certain that this young player would be incapable of making adjustments to his game. He’s already making them look foolish.

June: 20 Ks and 4 BB
    July: 31 Ks and 8 BB
    August: 17 Ks and 11 BB

Pull up Francouer’s lifetime stats and you will never see that type of growth in pitch selection at any point in his career. Puig began making adjustments almost immediately.

• dutchbrowncoat - Aug 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM

how exactly is he adjusting? his k rate in both july and august has been worse than in june. and his walk total in august is heavily influenced by the 4 intentional walks. pitchers are pitching him more carefully and finding his weaknesses, and the increase in strikeouts and decrease in hits will more than make up for whatever slight gains he makes by a tiny increase in walk rate.

• yahmule - Aug 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Keep on wishing for his failure. And keep getting played by these hacks.

15. theebbandflow - Aug 22, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I don’t think the author understands basic use of the term ” X is a poor man’s Y” – Franceour was being paid 10 times less than Puig when he was 22.

In fact, I read it as some sort of racial slur against Cubans but I doubt that’s the case.

16. Ducky Medwick - Aug 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM

“Poor Man’s” here pretty clearly means “Latin,” right? Or is my racial insensitivity in sports journalism meter just buggy this morning?

• stex52 - Aug 22, 2013 at 1:16 PM

The way I know the term to be used, it means a cheaper version of the best because it is what you can afford. Poor usage in almost any sense, but I doubt seriously that it is meant in an ethnic sense.

How in the world can you do that these days when Latin Americans are so heavily represented in the top ranks of baseball players?

17. sawxalicious - Aug 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I made this comparison myself (mentally) a couple weeks ago. I remembered how Popular Frenchie was and how he started his career on fire, then his free swinging ways caught up with him. Then I actually looked at the stats and saw how crummy this comparison was…not that I thought Puig was as flawed as Frenchie, but because for some reason I thought Frenchie had much better numbers in his rookie season….memory is one of the first things to go in old age…

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3873)