Aug 22, 2013, 9:58 PM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez has been sidelined since June 5 due what was originally described as left forearm tightness, but he has been holding out hope for a return this season. However, it’s increasingly likely that he’ll have to turn the focus to 2014 and beyond.
According to Tom Singer of MLB.com, Rodriguez is scheduled to see Dr. James Andrews early next week after his simulated game today didn’t go well. The veteran southpaw went ahead with throwing today even though Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said he had discomfort during his bullpen session earlier this week.
Rodriguez’s contract includes a $13 million player option for next season, which he’ll almost certainly exercise, but the Pirates won’t get much bang for their buck if he requires the worst-case scenario of Tommy John surgery. On the bright side, the Astros are set to pay $5.5 million of that total per the terms of their trade last year.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 38
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)