Aug 22, 2013, 9:58 PM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez has been sidelined since June 5 due what was originally described as left forearm tightness, but he has been holding out hope for a return this season. However, it’s increasingly likely that he’ll have to turn the focus to 2014 and beyond.
According to Tom Singer of MLB.com, Rodriguez is scheduled to see Dr. James Andrews early next week after his simulated game today didn’t go well. The veteran southpaw went ahead with throwing today even though Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said he had discomfort during his bullpen session earlier this week.
Rodriguez’s contract includes a $13 million player option for next season, which he’ll almost certainly exercise, but the Pirates won’t get much bang for their buck if he requires the worst-case scenario of Tommy John surgery. On the bright side, the Astros are set to pay $5.5 million of that total per the terms of their trade last year.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 32
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 42
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 139
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (141)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (140)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)