Aug 22, 2013, 9:58 PM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez has been sidelined since June 5 due what was originally described as left forearm tightness, but he has been holding out hope for a return this season. However, it’s increasingly likely that he’ll have to turn the focus to 2014 and beyond.
According to Tom Singer of MLB.com, Rodriguez is scheduled to see Dr. James Andrews early next week after his simulated game today didn’t go well. The veteran southpaw went ahead with throwing today even though Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said he had discomfort during his bullpen session earlier this week.
Rodriguez’s contract includes a $13 million player option for next season, which he’ll almost certainly exercise, but the Pirates won’t get much bang for their buck if he requires the worst-case scenario of Tommy John surgery. On the bright side, the Astros are set to pay $5.5 million of that total per the terms of their trade last year.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 7
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 15
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 87
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)