Aug 22, 2013, 9:58 PM EST
Wandy Rodriguez has been sidelined since June 5 due what was originally described as left forearm tightness, but he has been holding out hope for a return this season. However, it’s increasingly likely that he’ll have to turn the focus to 2014 and beyond.
According to Tom Singer of MLB.com, Rodriguez is scheduled to see Dr. James Andrews early next week after his simulated game today didn’t go well. The veteran southpaw went ahead with throwing today even though Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said he had discomfort during his bullpen session earlier this week.
Rodriguez’s contract includes a $13 million player option for next season, which he’ll almost certainly exercise, but the Pirates won’t get much bang for their buck if he requires the worst-case scenario of Tommy John surgery. On the bright side, the Astros are set to pay $5.5 million of that total per the terms of their trade last year.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 0
- MLB Players React to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 9
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)