Aug 22, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
When the Red Sox demoted Will Middlebrooks to Triple-A on June 25 he was hitting .193 in 53 games and he wasn’t particularly great for Pawtucket, hitting .268 with 10 homers and a .790 OPS in 45 games.
However, after trading Jose Iglesias in the deal for Jake Peavy the Red Sox recalled Middlebrooks from the minors and he’s been on fire since. Middlebrooks homered yesterday against the Giants, making him 15-for-34 (.441) with two homers and three doubles in 11 games since the recall.
His season totals are going to look ugly no matter what because of his terrible first half, but Middlebrooks getting back to the productive, power-hitting third baseman he was as a rookie last season would be huge for the Red Sox down the stretch.
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 152
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 16
- Rockies trade Dexter Fowler to Astros for Jordan Lyles 24
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (152)
- My imaginary Hall of Fame ballot (89)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (80)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (74)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)