Aug 22, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
When the Red Sox demoted Will Middlebrooks to Triple-A on June 25 he was hitting .193 in 53 games and he wasn’t particularly great for Pawtucket, hitting .268 with 10 homers and a .790 OPS in 45 games.
However, after trading Jose Iglesias in the deal for Jake Peavy the Red Sox recalled Middlebrooks from the minors and he’s been on fire since. Middlebrooks homered yesterday against the Giants, making him 15-for-34 (.441) with two homers and three doubles in 11 games since the recall.
His season totals are going to look ugly no matter what because of his terrible first half, but Middlebrooks getting back to the productive, power-hitting third baseman he was as a rookie last season would be huge for the Red Sox down the stretch.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 0
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 8
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 9
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)