Aug 23, 2013, 3:49 PM EDT
Remember when Bill Madden of the Daily News said Alex Rodriguez “will never play another game for the Yankees?” That he had what the Daily News headlined as “an evil plan” to “claim he was physically unable to perform” and collect insurance money?
Subway Squawkers does, and today catalogs all of the ways in which Madden got the A-Rod story wrong over the past few months. Sorry: how Spink Award winner Bill Madden got the A-Rod story wrong.
The best part: Squawkers notes that now that the Yankees are winning and A-Rod is showing that he is quite capable of physical performance, Madden has gone curiously silent on the guy, underplaying his role in the Yankees’ recent surge.
Reporters hate it when individual games twist right at the end, ruining the story they’ve been working on and making them rewrite before deadline. I guess that happens with the longer-term storylines as well.
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 17
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 1
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 51
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 139
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 14
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 3
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (139)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)