A-Rod continues to ruin everything

Aug 23, 2013, 3:49 PM EDT

Alex Rodriguez Getty Images

Remember when Bill Madden of the Daily News said Alex Rodriguez “will never play another game for the Yankees?” That he had what the Daily News headlined as “an evil plan” to “claim he was physically unable to perform” and collect insurance money?

Subway Squawkers does, and today catalogs all of the ways in which Madden got the A-Rod story wrong over the past few months. Sorry: how Spink Award winner Bill Madden got the A-Rod story wrong.

The best part: Squawkers notes that now that the Yankees are winning and A-Rod is showing that he is quite capable of physical performance, Madden has gone curiously silent on the guy, underplaying his role in the Yankees’ recent surge.

Reporters hate it when individual games twist right at the end, ruining the story they’ve been working on and making them rewrite before deadline.  I guess that happens with the longer-term storylines as well.

1. braddavery - Aug 23, 2013 at 3:53 PM

If only we could have all purveyors of media held accountable for everything they got wrong…

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 23, 2013 at 4:09 PM

And of the things they choose to omit, for personal, political, or any reason otherwise.

• 1981titan - Aug 23, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Do you mean they should print an entire second newspaper retracting everything that was in the earlier edition?

• gloccamorra - Aug 24, 2013 at 5:44 PM

They might as well. There aren’t enough back pages to hide all the retractions without the paper ballooning to Sunday size. They could then add the funny pages by printing the political cartoonists’ retractions too.

• Rob Abruzzese - Aug 23, 2013 at 4:17 PM

The article’s author, Lisa Swan, blocked me on Facebook when I asked her about some of the things she got wrong in her other recent articles. Like the claim she made that she was CERTAIN that the Yankees would sign Manny Ramirez because, supposedly, that’s the perfect example of a Brian Cashman move. I guess a lot of writers hate to be held accountable for the crazy stuff they assert.

• lmswansi - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Rob, I have no problem admitting I was wrong on Manny Ramirez, as I did to you earlier today. I do have a problem with somebody who falsely accuses me of “making up evidence,” simply because we had had a difference of opinion on the subject.

• badintent - Aug 23, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Sue her for Libel and Slander.And give her the Hannah Storm award for total BS reporting . She can go on the View to bitch it all out

• lmswansi - Aug 31, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Rob’s a modest dude, too. He didn’t mention that his website, BronxBaseballDaily, just happens to be funded by the Yankees this season via the YES Network. And he apparently gets enough money to pay other writers to work for his site thanks to him being a “Proud Affiliate of the YES Network.”

Rob also didn’t mention how many times he just happened to find issue with me every time I ever criticized Brian Cashman on Facebook, which also happened to be the only times he ever commented on my Facebook page. But I’m sure that’s all just a big coincidence!

• braddavery - Aug 23, 2013 at 4:25 PM

This was actually stated tongue-in-cheek. I really don’t want that. It would be completely absurd. Everyone in the media gets things wrong when their opinions are involved. No one would be left out. I just find it funny for some in the media spectrum to point out when others are wrong, when they too have been wrong.

• pjmarn6 - Aug 23, 2013 at 5:08 PM

King CACA seems to be a bit green that Bill Madden received the prestigious Spink Award and the closest that KING CACA will get to it is sitting in the back of the room.
      When you take the crap that KING CACA has been spuriously writing along with the likes of Al “I WILL NEVER PAY PAGONES” Sharpton, you have a marriage made in heaven. Both are supporters of liars, cheats and will do anything to get their names in ink.

• apkyletexas - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I was going to call you a complete loser, but that’s about 20 levels above where you seem to be writing from. You have precious little imaginary names for bloggers? You create your imaginary names based on how upset you are by what the bloggers wrote?

Dude – your screen name should not be pjmarn6 — you are Perez Hilton.

• Old Gator - Aug 24, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Sorry PJ, Craig’s got the job and you don’t. He gets well paid for inspiring you to depths of juvenile rant. He’s got the expense account to go see ballgames all over the country and attend the winter meetings in nice resort cities and go to the All Star Game and turn in chits for his meals and drinks. Deal with it, then get some sleep. Your janitorial shift at K-Mart begins at 7AM.

• pesky99 - Aug 23, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Sounds like you are one of those “politically correct” morons, that “PC” stuff is on its way out, it’s so 1990’s.
      Let me guess, you are an osama-bama supporter too?!?

• braddavery - Aug 23, 2013 at 6:04 PM

LOL I’m racist? Since when. Prove your statement or forever be “that guy”.

• braddavery - Aug 23, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Yeah, that’s what I thought. Run away with your tail between your legs, you fraud. I was hit by a drive-by warrantless personal attack! lol

• braddavery - Aug 23, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Keep making stuff up. Everyone sees through your nonsense.

2. nepats2013 - Aug 23, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Arod shouldn’t be playing at all! I don’t give a rats ass what uniform he is wearing! He is a cheat!

• Ben - Aug 23, 2013 at 4:30 PM

his name s AFROID he changed it to that all the blogs say ur stupid,

• kevinbnyc - Aug 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I had a bad case of afroids once.

• indaburg - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:22 PM

The GI doctor I work for can band those afroids for you. They can be painful and itch.

• joestemme - Aug 23, 2013 at 9:34 PM

F#$# A-Roid

3. alexo0 - Aug 23, 2013 at 4:03 PM

What I’d like to see is some sort or commentary, perhaps daily, recounting the media stories and columns of that day and assessing them for the quality of their work. The authors of these daily summaries would provide their own commentary on whether the media got the story right or wrong, and hold them accountable for their work. I would definitely subscribe to such a publication.

4. uyf1950 - Aug 23, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Hard to imagine the NYDN got a sports story wrong, especially when it concerns the Yankees and or Alex Rodriguez. (sarcasm button please).

5. sandblastermoron - Aug 23, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Aim for the head!

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 23, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Technically, all you have to do is sever or provide blunt trauma to the brain stem.

6. mudhead123 - Aug 23, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I assume nepats is a Red Sox fan. Pretty amusing he feels Arod shouldn’t play but cheers on Ortiz

• pesky99 - Aug 23, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I still don’t understand why idiots continue to bring up Big Papi! To compare A-Hole to Big Papi is ignorant, so just stop already. Big Papi had a supplement, A-Roid had a career of steroids starting when he was a teenager- A Teenager!!! So you can’t compare the two at all. If you love A-Fraud that is your issue, but don’t try to compare the two guys, it’s just retarded.

• 65panhed - Aug 23, 2013 at 6:26 PM

prove it right now…Go ahead …prove it right now cmon lets see the proof!!! NOW!!! NOW, DAMMIT yes right NOW!!!

• 65panhed - Aug 23, 2013 at 6:27 PM

In America it is innocent until proven guilty, you ARE an American right???

7. chip56 - Aug 23, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Didn’t that also happen to some blogger for Hardball Talk who didn’t think much was going to come from the Biogenesis investigation…hmmmmmm?

8. chip56 - Aug 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Here’s the thing I don’t get – writers like Buster Olney jump all over Braun because his apology didn’t meat their standards – but when was the last time a writer dedicated his column to apologizing for either an assumption he got wrong, a story he skewed that made a player come off as a horrific human being or a bogus rumor that he started? The only one I can think of is the guy who apologized to Melky Cabrera for asking him if he was on steroids based on an accusation from Twitter (that turned out to be true).

• braddavery - Aug 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Probably because not many sane people really give a shit about what some sportswriter got wrong… but they do give a shit about the sports figures in the sports they follow. I mean really, who cares what Buster Olney, or Craig Calcaterra for that matter, have to say. It’s just talk entertainment and they are allowed to be wrong in matters of opinion, aren’t they.

• chip56 - Aug 23, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I don’t particularly care what either side has to say – but when a writer uses his platform to spout off about how nothing’s going to come from the biogenesis investigation day after day without actually knowing what’s going on behind the scenes (as an example :) ) it would be nice for them to an issue a ‘hm…ok, my bad.”

• braddavery - Aug 23, 2013 at 11:48 PM

It’s an opinion. Why would anyone have to apologize for their opinion on a matter being wrong. Craig has been wrong about things in the past, just as every single sports writer in history has been at one time or another. I would never expect a freaking apology. It is what it is, opinions being bandied about.

9. MyTeamsAllStink - Aug 23, 2013 at 5:07 PM

want to REALLY stick it to Selig?The Yankees win the World Series and aRod wins MVP

• badintent - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Yankees win WS, Arodless gets served with papers by Gloria Allred and has TMZ catch him in a club with Pee Wee Herman in a VIP room

10. pjmarn6 - Aug 23, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Baseball writers are supposed to give insights that a normal fan can not get. They are supposed to publish honest, accurate information and uphold the integrity of the game. After all this is not WWW. I want information on honest ball players, analysis of the players, which players are headed down and which new players are going up. I do not what cheats, liars or malcontents playing the game. This was one professional game, that was supposed to hold its head above the rest of the professional games as clean and honest. The sports writers jobs were to root out the liars, cheaters and help them get banned from the game so we could have a real national clean game again. KING CACA is THE EXAMPLE WHY BASEBALL CAN NEVER BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY AGAIN.

11. giantssb42champs - Aug 23, 2013 at 6:18 PM

———————–
    Ah the irony of someone with a handle “NEPats” saying this.

• 65panhed - Aug 23, 2013 at 6:30 PM

See above comments

• Glenn - Aug 23, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Because recording something that is actually within the rules to observe with binoculars is the equivalent of multiple PED violations???

12. mudhead123 - Aug 23, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Ortiz used steroids just like Arod. Don’t like either one of them

• braddavery - Aug 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Prepare to be downvoted for disliking cheaters.

• Glenn - Aug 23, 2013 at 8:38 PM

You know what Ortiz tested positive for? Interesting since it was never made public and some people implicated in the initial testing were positive for non-steroid and non-HGH substances, some which were not illegal. The union made a point of stating this after Ortiz’ name was leaked (but not for the other leaked players).

13. lmswansi - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Thanks, Craig, for posting my article! I appreciate it very much and enjoy your site.

• Bob Loblaw - Aug 23, 2013 at 11:47 PM

“Reporter who makes shit up for a living” on “Reporter who makes shit up for a living” crime kinda feels like a PED user calling out another PED user. I guess they are all a little slimy in my eyes.

I guess like it reads in the Bible “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone”. It was so easy for someone to find areas where you were stone-cold wrong, yet you feel good about yourself for writing a piece that tears apart a fellow reporter? Bleh. Find something important to write on instead of the mistakes of others.

• badintent - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Let the Twitter wars begin ! But facebook shutout ? Sounds like a teenager with some low self esteem.. Send all reporters that make up crap to Syria to report from the front lines. With no gas mask.

• lmswansi - Aug 24, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Bob, you may want to put down the boulder in your own hand first before pontificating about how “he who is without sin cast the first stone.” As you yourself would say, isn’t there something more “important to write on” than criticizing others?

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3527)