Aug 23, 2013, 6:22 PM EDT
31-year-old catcher Cody Clark was called up by the Astros on Friday and will make his major league debut 10 years after originally being drafted by the Rangers.
Clark is the replacement on the roster for Max Stassi, who suffered a concussion after he was hit in the face by a pitch on Wednesday.
Clark was originally a 48th-round pick by the Blue Jays out of high school. He opted to go to Wichita State rather than sign, and he was taken in the 11th round by Texas in 2003. The Rangers, though, weren’t impressed by his offense and released him in 2005. He spent the rest of that year playing Indy ball, joined the Braves’ low-A club in 2006 and then logged six years in the Royals system before joining the Astros on a minor league deal last winter.
Obviously, it took a few breaks to get him his chance now. Never much of a hitter, he’s really fallen off these last couple of years; he hit just .180/.246/.268 for Triple-A Omaha last year and he was at .217/.258/.273 in 158 Triple-A at-bats this season. There’s not really any chance of him playing any long-term role with the Astros, and it’s quite possible he won’t even last for the rest of the year. But after 11 seasons, he can finally say he’s made it. There probably won’t be anyone happier to be in a major league dugout tonight.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)