Aug 23, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Alex Avila has been sidelined since suffering a concussion on August 10, but the Tigers catcher was cleared to begin a minor-league rehab assignment last night.
Avila went 0-for-2 with a walk at Triple-A, spending three innings behind the plate. His early exit was planned, although three innings are fewer than expected. Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that Avila will be back at catcher tonight for Toledo.
Avila is part of a disturbing number of catchers to spend time on the concussion DL during the past month. In his absence the Tigers have turned to Brayan Pena and rookie Bryan Holaday at catcher. Holaday hit his first career homer yesterday versus Minnesota.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)