Aug 23, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Alex Avila has been sidelined since suffering a concussion on August 10, but the Tigers catcher was cleared to begin a minor-league rehab assignment last night.
Avila went 0-for-2 with a walk at Triple-A, spending three innings behind the plate. His early exit was planned, although three innings are fewer than expected. Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that Avila will be back at catcher tonight for Toledo.
Avila is part of a disturbing number of catchers to spend time on the concussion DL during the past month. In his absence the Tigers have turned to Brayan Pena and rookie Bryan Holaday at catcher. Holaday hit his first career homer yesterday versus Minnesota.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)