Aug 23, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
However, rather than simply demoting Westbrook to the bullpen the Cardinals announced that he has a back injury and is headed to the disabled list. Obviously that seems like convenient timing and a way to get Westbrook out of the rotation without actually taking away his job, but either way he won’t be starting Monday.
As for who will be facing the Reds in his place, general manager John Mozeliak said during a radio interview with CBS Sports-920 that no decision has been made yet. There are no shortage of options, including Carlos Martinez, Michael Wacha, and Tyler Lyons, which is why sticking with Westbrook for any longer would have been such a mistake.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 21
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 13
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)