Aug 23, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
However, rather than simply demoting Westbrook to the bullpen the Cardinals announced that he has a back injury and is headed to the disabled list. Obviously that seems like convenient timing and a way to get Westbrook out of the rotation without actually taking away his job, but either way he won’t be starting Monday.
As for who will be facing the Reds in his place, general manager John Mozeliak said during a radio interview with CBS Sports-920 that no decision has been made yet. There are no shortage of options, including Carlos Martinez, Michael Wacha, and Tyler Lyons, which is why sticking with Westbrook for any longer would have been such a mistake.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 9
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 16
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)