Aug 23, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
However, rather than simply demoting Westbrook to the bullpen the Cardinals announced that he has a back injury and is headed to the disabled list. Obviously that seems like convenient timing and a way to get Westbrook out of the rotation without actually taking away his job, but either way he won’t be starting Monday.
As for who will be facing the Reds in his place, general manager John Mozeliak said during a radio interview with CBS Sports-920 that no decision has been made yet. There are no shortage of options, including Carlos Martinez, Michael Wacha, and Tyler Lyons, which is why sticking with Westbrook for any longer would have been such a mistake.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)