Cardinals place struggling Jake Westbrook on disabled list with back injury

Aug 23, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT

Jake Westbrook AP

I wondered yesterday how much longer the Cardinals could stick with Jake Westbrook in the rotation and it turns out they’re not.

However, rather than simply demoting Westbrook to the bullpen the Cardinals announced that he has a back injury and is headed to the disabled list. Obviously that seems like convenient timing and a way to get Westbrook out of the rotation without actually taking away his job, but either way he won’t be starting Monday.

As for who will be facing the Reds in his place, general manager John Mozeliak said during a radio interview with CBS Sports-920 that no decision has been made yet. There are no shortage of options, including Carlos Martinez, Michael Wacha, and Tyler Lyons, which is why sticking with Westbrook for any longer would have been such a mistake.

1. coryfor3 - Aug 23, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Yeah I’m sure that injury is legit. Nice roster juggling.

• afanofbaseball - Aug 24, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Does MLB have to approve an injury before a dl stint? Sounds a little strange that it is a back injury but back injuries can be hard to confirm by anyone other than the injured, as anyone can say OUCH. Still seems a little fishy.

2. edelmanfanclub - Aug 23, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Struggling is putting it nice, I mean his ERA this month is 10.29

3. cptnew1 - Aug 23, 2013 at 3:42 PM

“Jake? It’s Coach Matheny.”

“Hey skipper.”

“I just heard you hurt your, uh…elb…knee..ank…?”

“My back?”

“Right, your back. Get well soon.”

4. rockymountainoysters - Aug 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM

No, it’s a legit injury. Presumably from twisting around so many times to watch a ball leave the yard

5. cincinata - Aug 23, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I don’t see the big deal here. They have cleaned up on the Reds this year without him. I sure would like to see him in the game, we might have a chance to sweep these guys then. If the Reds don’t sweep them next series, then we are dead.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5480)