Aug 23, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
The bad news for Zito is that his next start is Monday against the Rockies at Coors Field. So he’ll try to save his job in the most hitter-friendly environment possible.
Zito is 0-8 with a 9.50 ERA on the road this season, including 0-2 with a 7.36 ERA at Coors Field, so his turning in a not-horrible start versus the Rockies would qualify as a minor miracle. He hasn’t completed five innings in a road start since June.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)