Aug 23, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
The bad news for Zito is that his next start is Monday against the Rockies at Coors Field. So he’ll try to save his job in the most hitter-friendly environment possible.
Zito is 0-8 with a 9.50 ERA on the road this season, including 0-2 with a 7.36 ERA at Coors Field, so his turning in a not-horrible start versus the Rockies would qualify as a minor miracle. He hasn’t completed five innings in a road start since June.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 33
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)