Aug 23, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
In need some of some rotation depth with Tim Hudson out for the season and Brandon Beachy possibly joining him on the disabled list, the Braves have acquired veteran right-hander Freddy Garcia from the Orioles for cash considerations.
Garcia got knocked around for a 5.77 ERA in 53 innings for the Orioles before accepting a demotion to Triple-A in June. He’s pitched well for Norfolk with a 2.84 ERA and 61/15 K/BB ratio in 13 starts, but at this point Garcia is purely a fallback plan. He throws in the mid-80s and serves up way too many homers, but he’s 36 years old with 15 seasons of experience and a fallback plan is what the Braves needed.
For now he’ll stay at Triple-A, moving from Norfolk to Gwinnett.
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 11
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 34
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 61
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)