Aug 23, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
In need some of some rotation depth with Tim Hudson out for the season and Brandon Beachy possibly joining him on the disabled list, the Braves have acquired veteran right-hander Freddy Garcia from the Orioles for cash considerations.
Garcia got knocked around for a 5.77 ERA in 53 innings for the Orioles before accepting a demotion to Triple-A in June. He’s pitched well for Norfolk with a 2.84 ERA and 61/15 K/BB ratio in 13 starts, but at this point Garcia is purely a fallback plan. He throws in the mid-80s and serves up way too many homers, but he’s 36 years old with 15 seasons of experience and a fallback plan is what the Braves needed.
For now he’ll stay at Triple-A, moving from Norfolk to Gwinnett.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)