Aug 23, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
In need some of some rotation depth with Tim Hudson out for the season and Brandon Beachy possibly joining him on the disabled list, the Braves have acquired veteran right-hander Freddy Garcia from the Orioles for cash considerations.
Garcia got knocked around for a 5.77 ERA in 53 innings for the Orioles before accepting a demotion to Triple-A in June. He’s pitched well for Norfolk with a 2.84 ERA and 61/15 K/BB ratio in 13 starts, but at this point Garcia is purely a fallback plan. He throws in the mid-80s and serves up way too many homers, but he’s 36 years old with 15 seasons of experience and a fallback plan is what the Braves needed.
For now he’ll stay at Triple-A, moving from Norfolk to Gwinnett.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (256)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)