Carl Crawford is still talking about Boston

Aug 23, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT

Carl Crawford AP

Jennifer Aniston has spent years talking about her heartbreak over losing Brad Pitt. Like, many times longer than her marriage actually lasted. But even she has to read stories in which Carl Crawford talks about how miserable he was in Boston and think “damn, he needs to let it go.”

The latest comes from Mark Saxon’s story in ESPN Los Angeles:

“That was one of the toughest times in my life, ever, from when I was a little kid, 1 year old,” said Crawford. “It definitely was one of the best things that ever happened to me in my life to be traded over here …  You make $20 million, but it’s not like they’re begging me to hit a home run every time I go up there, you know what I’m saying? It’s not like I need to go 5-for-5 every at-bat and, if I don’t, I’m considered the worst player on the planet … it [ticked] me off so much, the things I had said about me. I have the type of spirit that, if you say something to me, I’m going to say something back.”

I’m sure it was bad for him, but man, at some point be on the Dodgers and let the past be the past.

1. baseballici0us - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Most Red Sox Fans: “Carl who?”

Me: “Please come back!”

• nepats2013 - Aug 23, 2013 at 3:27 PM

He flat out sucked!!!

• nepats2013 - Aug 23, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Troy Brown for governor!!!!

• jrbdmb - Aug 23, 2013 at 8:19 PM

You can’t really say he sucked if he almost never played. The only grade you can give him for his two years in Boston is Incomplete. A very well compensated Incomplete.

2. somethingsomething33 - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:10 AM

He’s *still* talking about it? Or is there maybe a chance that he was asked about it seeing how the Red Sox are in town this weekend. I suppose if he’d just said “No comment” you would have crapped on him for being uncooperative with the media.

• thinman61 - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Adrian Gonzalez and Nick Punto gave boring answers to similar questions. Carl would do well to follow their lead.

• jcmeyer10 - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM

If this was the first time he was asked, I would understand. At this point, it’s beating a dead horse.

• ramrene - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Absolutely coming from Craig “I play both sides of the fence” Calcaterra.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 23, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Link to one story where Craig has been critical of a player for not answering idiotic questions. I’ll sit here and wait.

3. chacochicken - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Hmm, so is he going to be Ben Affleck/Batman’s next aging injury prone villain?

4. thebadguyswon - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:12 AM

This guy is a clown. Entitled pro athlete personified. He wouldn’t last a day in the real world.

5. thinman61 - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Dear Carl,

It’s been over for a year now. We’ve moved on. You should too.

Sincerely,
    Red Sox fans

• badintent - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Will Ryan Dempster throw 4 pitches at him too. ? Stay classy Boston

6. rollinghighwayblues - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Shut up, Carl. Just shut up.

It wasn’t his crap numbers he put up, it was the little things that drove me up the wall regarding his play in Boston. #1 He always looked lost at the plate, seriously. More often than not it looked like he was either praying to Buddha that he would somehow run into a base hit or he was simply guessing. #2 Stolen bases…or lack thereof. I remember he used to run a train on Boston catchers when he played for Tampa Bay then it seems he puts on a new uniform and all of a sudden he’s gun shy to take second base.

7. Joe - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM

The funny thing is how Boston fans did like a 180 the moment Crawford was signed. Up till that point, it was all faithful support and encouragement for Red Sox players. Just ask guys like JD Drew and Julio Lugo!

Unfortunately that all changed in 2011. There’s NO WAY Crawford could have seen it coming!

8. robbyrob2 - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Boston is a hell-hole….i don’t blame him for one bit still being haunted and bitter about playing in that place. Red Sox fans are a bunch a racist fuckholes.

• yahmule - Aug 23, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Could we be overstating the case just a smidge?

• jjschiller - Aug 23, 2013 at 11:37 AM

While this is definitely going overboard, I will say, I live in Fort Myers, spring training home of the Red Sox. I used to tend bar, and I cannot even estimate how many times Crawford was referred to as “the n…” or “Theo’s Little N…” I even had two different patrons, on different occasions, explain to me that David Ortiz is not an N because he didn’t, in one mans words “grow up in a ghetto,” and in the other mans words “come from garbage.”

Obviously that’s just anecdotal, but its my experience. People say Florida isn’t the South, but where I come from, only trailer trash talk like that. These people were well enough off that they could spend their springs on baseball vacations.

The “Boston is a racist city” trope just might have some legs..

• mjdkid100 - Aug 23, 2013 at 11:51 AM

What?

Florida isnt the south? It’s the epitomy of stupid redneck morons. Northern Florida is one of the worst places in the country. there’s a ridiculous story every single that comes out of that state.

Speak for your Florida buddies, not the real Boston fans.

• jjschiller - Aug 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM

mjdkid100 – You could probably stand to work on your critical thinking skills. You some how read completely around the point.

• myopinionisrighterthanyours - Aug 23, 2013 at 12:55 PM

@mjdkid100:

Obviously you haven’t been to Florida outside of some northern rural counties. The I-4 corridor is a diverse mix of all kinds, and Miami is the 6th borough of New York City.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 23, 2013 at 6:08 PM

You….umm….you ARE aware that “The I-4 Corridor” includes Polk County, with one of the hillbilliest good ol’ boy sheriffs in the country (and one of the highest profile) right?

Although I will agree there IS a diverse mix of grow houses, pill mills, and meth trailers.

Although I do agree with, and love the slogan “Florida, the more North you go the more South it gets.”

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 23, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Sounds like Rob isn’t a big fan of the City of Boston.

9. myopinionisrighterthanyours - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Carl might have been miserable, but his bank account sure wasn’t.

• bigharold - Aug 23, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I bet Theo is going to get Christmas cards from Carl … FOREVER!

10. Jonny 5 - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:29 AM

So Boston expected him to go 5-5 every night? Was that what the I-pad given to them by Boras said? I wouldn’t doubt Boras would do that actually. The thing probably self destructed like an “Inspector Gadget” message as soon as the contract ink was dry.

• Caught Looking - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Boras was he previous agent. Brian Peters negotiated the free agent deal with Boston.

No one expected him to go 5-5 every night (fans might have been thankful for 1-4). Heck, he didn’t even play every night as he was shut down after 31 games in 2012 and played in 130 the season before.

• Glenn - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:49 AM

And for superstar money, he gave Boston 161 games in two years with a negative defensive WAR and an offensive WAR below 1. 5 for 5? How about being above average Carl? He was absolutely horrible in Boston and then he capped it off by misplaying a ball that helped cost Boston the last game of the season in their 2011 collapse. Boston had to give away Adrian Gonzalez just to unload Crawford’s terrible contract (and Beckett’s). So it was a “business decision” to leave Tampa Bay, but it’s “personal” when he doesn’t live up to the contract in Boston?

• Jonny 5 - Aug 23, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Thanks, nice catch. I like busting on Boras as much as the next guy.

11. CyclePower - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM

And leave it to the blogging world (I’ll be kind and not single out any individual) and the current state of sports talk radio to turn professional sports – and specifically the lives of professional athletes – into the vapid equivalent of Brangelina tabloid fodder, or something you’d read on TMZ right after Kardashian’s baby.

It sounds less like Crawford was volunteering that information for cathartic purposes and, rather, was asked a specific question by a media who’s job it is to ask questions about virtually anything.

Arod, Braun and PEDs – you know, Craig,… maybe you just should let it go.

• CyclePower - Aug 23, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Crawford sharing honestly about the tough experience he had as a player = bad.

Cheating, lying manipulators hiring attorneys to issue press releases = no prob.

lol

12. tfbuckfutter - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Nobody wanted anything more than what he did regularly in Tampa and he couldn’t even come close.

Douchebag.

13. chip56 - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Well I mean if people keep asking him the question he’s sorta obligated to answer it right?

• 18thstreet - Aug 23, 2013 at 11:17 AM

“I think I’ve said enough about my time in Boston.”

“In case anyone missed it before, let me just say I was grateful for the chance to play there. There’s a lot of good guys in that clubhouse, just like there are in Tampa. I miss them, too.”

“It’s disappointing I didn’t perform better. Injuries had something to do with it, but I just didn’t play well and fans will never tolerate any kind of excuses.”

“I’m with the Dodgers now, and I’m excited about what we’re trying to accomplish here. Y’know, I’m just happy to be here and hope I can help the ballclub. I just want to give it my best shot and good Lord willing, things’ll work out… gotta play ‘em one day at a time.”

That’s what he could say.

• tropboi11 - Aug 23, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Braun should of had this guy write his apology for him.

• 18thstreet - Aug 23, 2013 at 1:27 PM

If I were an agent, I would spend a lot of time with my clients encouraging them how to be media-savvy. It’s a pretty low bar.

14. coloradogolfcoupons - Aug 23, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Before I make up my mind, did Crawford go up to a writer, tap him on the shoulder, and start babbling about Boston?

Or, did some idiot writer, wanting to start some shit, ask him the same fucking question he has been asked by every dumb ass writer he has met?

• paperlions - Aug 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM

No one made him say anything. I agree that many in the media ask dumb questions and bait players….no one makes them take the bait.

• 18thstreet - Aug 23, 2013 at 1:30 PM

People in the public eye have to answer the same questions again and again. It’s part of the job.

I think he’s obligated to answer, even if he’s tired of saying it. But by giving a non-boring answer, he’s only going to bring more attention and more questions he doesn’t want to answer. This doesn’t seem complicated, and I’m surprised that a player who has been around the game as long as Carl Crawford has doesn’t understand it. It’s probably because, playing in Tampa, no one bothered him with tough nor easy questions because it was a smaller market for baseball.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 23, 2013 at 12:22 PM

No comment.

Was that so hard?

15. titansbro - Aug 23, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Nothing wrong with expecting a guy who makes $20 mil a year to perform. If he can’t handle that give the money back.

• dcarroll73 - Aug 23, 2013 at 11:46 AM

How about expecting the billionaire owners and their ‘talented’ player-evaluation staff to make good decisions taking into account the risks of players having ups and downs, sometimes not adjusting to a new environment, or maybe just aging? Those are the guys to blame. I’m a Yankee and Giant fan so believe me I have experience in just letting some of those go (i.e. length of second A-rod contract and length/size of Barry Zito’s contract.)

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM

So it is about his money.

16. bosoxfan15 - Aug 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Carl should stfu. I have disliked this guy all the way back to his Tampa bay days.

17. bostonstandup - Aug 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Some players just can’t hang here in Boston aka crumble under pressure in a city that truly loves its hometown teams. Carl is one of those players. We’re more than happy to have the team that we have on the field now and Crawford isn’t even an afterthought anymore. We let him go and moved on. Time for him to do the same thing.

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 23, 2013 at 1:56 PM

How can you say Boston fans have moved on? Every time Carl Crawford’s name appears on this site, the article generate 40+ comments that go to town on the guy.

18. giantssb42champs - Aug 23, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Boston is the city of Champions! Carl just couldn’t handle the pressure.

19. MLBlogsbig3bosox - Aug 23, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Someone give Crawford a cookie please.

20. edelmanfanclub - Aug 23, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Dude just shut up already. What a baby. What did you think came with signing a 142,000,000 contract in one of the biggest sports markets? I supported Crawford when he was here, but he’s such a baby. And no we weren’t mad because you didn’t go 5 for 5 every game. It has more to do with your dramatic drop in production because you cannot handle the heat in Boston.

2010 (TB): .307/.356/.495/.851
    2011 (BOS): .255/.289/.405/.694

I never held injuries against this guy but it is clear, his mind couldn’t handle Boston and he would have struggled there at all costs. Oh and you stole 18 bases after stealing 47 the year before. So go play in LA and stfu about Boston, we’re moved past your short stint here, time for you to do the same.

• 18thstreet - Aug 23, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I don’t know that he couldn’t “handle” Boston. He did well in the playoffs, and he was under plenty of pressure then, too.

Fact is, he looked NOTHING like the player who used to kill the Red Sox when he was in Tampa. I loved that guy. He was great.

21. aceshigh11 - Aug 23, 2013 at 1:24 PM

What a whiny bitch. I hope this guy is getting the therapy he needs.

22. ike73 - Aug 23, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Any time a black player has a bad time in Boston it’s because the city is racist. Forget about all the white players that have a bad time here, and forget about all the black players who have a wonderful time here (like dozens of celtics and patriots players, black guys, who could run for mayor in this town.

The bottom line is this: if you sign a monstrous contract and produce NOTHING, you will be an unpopular person. Ask John Lackey how he felt last year.

• dcarroll73 - Aug 23, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I went to college in Boston, and the things shouted at Jim Rice any time he made an out were pretty blatantly racist. I have talked to friends with more Boston history than I have, and they tell me that Bill Russell got the same treatment. But the city is not racist? OK, stick with that story if it makes you comfortable.

• ike73 - Aug 23, 2013 at 2:42 PM

You’re talking 30,40 years ago. I’m talking today. I bet a LOT of cities were racist when bill Russell played.

• nhstateline - Aug 23, 2013 at 5:05 PM

you should come back and visit sometime, it’s a very different place. Heck Jim Rice appears regularly on tv and people of all races watch. Why there’s even a separate audio feed for people who speak Spanish wonder of wonders and MA even has an African-American Governor. I wouldn’t think that most American cities are what they were back in the 50’s-70’s. Maybe it’s time to give up on the old stereotype of the past (as a native Bostonian I always ask: “racist compared to where exactly ?” when people continue to make stereotypes out of a very complicated past).

• 18thstreet - Aug 23, 2013 at 3:25 PM

And let me just add — I’m pretty sure Carl Crawford never said the fans treated him badly because he’s black. He certainly didn’t in the article that’s linked to here.

But we all assume that’s what he’s talking about because everyone knows Boston is a racist city.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 23, 2013 at 5:08 PM

And also because Crawford has said in the past that people shouted racist things at him during his rehab assignments and I believe has alluded to his race being a factor in how he’d been treated in the city itself.

I didn’t even know “Monday” was a slur for black people until that.

• 18thstreet - Aug 24, 2013 at 8:23 AM

So you learned something about the word “Monday.”

But did he say anything about race in this interview?

• nhstateline - Aug 23, 2013 at 8:46 PM

another one. buy a plane ticket and spend some time in Boston. Serious time. See what you think after that. I didn’t know what was yelled at Crawford in Manchester, NH by a guy who was a cop in Fitchburg, MA (neither one of which is Boston to be clear and I spend a decent amount of time in Manchester, don’t think it has much of a race problem), was a racial slur until that incident. But that was one idiot out of a population of six or so million people. You’re on really sound ground drawing conclusions from that.

• 18thstreet - Aug 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Not like I was born and raised in Boston and its suburbs or majored in American history. I really don’t know anything about Boston at all.

23. pisano - Aug 23, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Hey Carl, get over it, when the team pays you 20 million+ per year and you hit .255 the fans and the organization are not going to be enamored with you. The funny thing is, Boston is completely over you, you don’t hear them slamming you like your slamming them, get a life, you didn’t live up to the money they threw away on you, and a guy like you can’t take the pressure of playing in Boston, God help you had you been playing in New York with that contract, someone would left you for dead in an alley.

24. drewzducks - Aug 23, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Imagine if he had been treated as poorly as that honky Beckett …

• ike73 - Aug 23, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Beckett was so reviled in Boston because people mistook him for black

• 18thstreet - Aug 23, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Where, in the linked article, did Carl Crawford say he was treated badly because he’s black?

25. codyclement - Aug 23, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Reblogged this on THE QUARTERBACK and commented:
    I suppose that when you play in Tampa, well to be honest St Petersburg, you get used to people not getting all over you for poor performance because only 100 (estimate) people show up for games. Well let me let you in on a secret Carl, Boston is a pretty big sports town and they expect players making tens of
    millions of dollars to perform at a certain level. Perhaps had you done some research and not just signed the biggest contract offered you would have realized that. Saying that people expected you to go 5-for-5 is a little obnoxious, I would have settled for 2-for-5 given what you actually did. Oh and it helps if you can maybe stay healthy in play in at least a third of the games. That being said I am terrified that the Sox will get swept by the red hot Dodgers and blow the surprisingly good season they’ve had so far, but at least nobody is calling Carl Crawford a bum anymore. What? They still are? Oh my fault.

• 18thstreet - Aug 23, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I, too, would have settled for a mere .400 batting average.

• codyclement - Aug 23, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I agree hitting .400 obviously would be amazing I was more or less commenting on the fact that for him to think people expected him to bat 1.000 is a little absurd.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3893)