David Ortiz doesn’t think Ryan Dempster should have thrown at Alex Rodriguez

Aug 23, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT

David Ortiz Getty Images

On August 18, a Sunday night game nationally broadcast on ESPN, Red Sox starter Ryan Dempster attempted to hit Yankees third baseman and embattled drama magnet Alex Rodriguez with a series of fastballs. On the first pitch, the right-hander threw it behind the slugger’s legs, the next two pitches weren’t inside enough, and the fourth landed on A-Rod’s bicep just above his elbow.

In the aftermath, Dempster received a five-game suspension from Major League Baseball. The controversy revived the debate on the need for players to take justice into their own hands and which offenses were legitimate.

Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz does not think his teammate handled the situation appropriately. Via CSN New England:

“I didn’t like it,” Ortiz told USA Today. “I don’t think it was the right thing to do.

“But we don’t all think alike, and the guy who did it, Dempster, is a great guy.

“It’s not that I didn’t think it was right because Alex and I are friends, because once you cross the white lines, everyone’s on their own. But we’ve got Tampa right on our heels, and that pitch woke up a monster in the Yankees’ team at that moment. You saw how the game ended up. CC [Sabathia] was throwing 91 [mph] and started throwing 96. Alex later hit one way out there. You’re talking about a good team that you can’t wake up. But we learn from our mistakes.”

The Yankees entered tonight’s game against the Rays on a five-game winning streak, which started on that fateful night on August 18. Though the Yankees are in fourth place, they are only six games behind the first place Red Sox in the AL East and 3.5 games out of the second Wild Card in the American League.

1. chill1184 - Aug 23, 2013 at 9:11 PM

He’s 100% correct you dont give your mortal enemy any more additional motivation to beat you, especially this late in the season.

2. dondada10 - Aug 23, 2013 at 9:16 PM

It’s funny that Ortiz is preaching peace yet in the file photo he’s seated next to a victim of his own temper.

3. joeflaccosunibrow - Aug 23, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Ortiz didn’t want to hurt his HGH supplier

4. greymares - Aug 23, 2013 at 9:29 PM

that’s a reasonable thought of a guy who’s fat ass could become the target of retalliation

5. joestemme - Aug 23, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Well, Ortiz wouldn’t want to condone something that could return and hit HIM in the back, would he? And, I’m a big Ortiz fan. But, a cheater is a cheater. Though A-Roid and Braun are a class apart…..

• Old Gator - Aug 24, 2013 at 8:31 AM

You mean they got caught?

6. giantssb42champs - Aug 23, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Big Paps finally says something I agree with! And I’m no ARod fan by any stretch.

7. gymtruthteller - Aug 23, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Ortiz needs to shut up. This is further proof he was leading the trouble Beckett got blamed for in 2012. Ortiz is not as loved by his teammates as Boston loves to spout.

He needs to go. If he isn’t going to be a team player he needs to leave the team. A real team leader would have shut his mouth and said nothing.

8. dumbassgreg - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:46 PM

just making sure next a-rat does not turn him in next time. . do love the photo about ortiz smiling in front of phone. really is a case of someone in a glass house throwing stones.

9. DelawarePhilliesFan - Aug 23, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Translation: A-Rod is more important than a dugout phone. Personally, I think it is a close call. There are a few people that liked that phone, after all

10. jssgriffi - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:09 AM

How many times are you guys gonna write about this?

11. dirtyharry1971 - Aug 24, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Ortiz is worried because he is NEXT!! And I cant wait to see it, I hope the Yanks drill him right in the groin and he is sucking dirt for a hour on the ground where he belongs Big Potbelly!!

12. easywolf - Aug 24, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Red sox fanatics come from the same families that fart and eat at the same time and roll joints for their own kids, a real classy bunch lol

• js20011041 - Aug 24, 2013 at 7:43 AM

No, we poop and eat at the same time. We’re the model of efficiency. Get it right next time, you fucking hardon.

13. dowhatifeellike - Aug 24, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I don’t think Dempster should have thrown at him either.

However, I’d be lying if I said it didn’t make me smile.

14. schreibdave - Aug 24, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Compared to a lot of these guys, Ortiz is a class act. I wouldn’t have thought that he would have made his displeasure with Dempster known to the media, but maybe there’s more going on in the club house then we know..

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3287)