Aug 23, 2013, 12:05 AM EST
UPDATE: Good news. Amy Gutierrez of CSNBayArea.com passes along word that Cain has been diagnosed with a right forearm contusion after X-rays came back negative.
11:36 p.m. ET: Just when you thought this season couldn’t get any worse for the Giants, Matt Cain was forced to leave tonight’s start against the Pirates in the top of the fourth inning after he was hit in the throwing arm with a comebacker off the bat of Gaby Sanchez.
Cain was in obvious discomfort on the mound before he was visited by manager Bruce Bochy and a team trainer. He left the mound with very little in the way of conversation. The ball hit him pretty flush in the forearm area, but we should know more about the severity after he goes for tests.
Cain gave up three runs on seven hits (including two home runs) over 3 1/3 innings before exiting. The 28-year-old right-hander has a career-high 4.43 ERA through 26 starts this season.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 100
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)